will goldfish eat other fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shammond15731

Aquarium Advice Activist
First off I know I am asking for trouble with haveing goldfish in with my tropical fish but it is temporary until they find a new home but..........I have 2 fancy goldfish in my tank that is home to a rainbow shark, 3 platties, 2 other sharks that I cannot remember their name they are silver with black edges on their fins and 2...well there were 2 glo fish until I got up this morning and one is missing. My question is will the goldfish eat the little glo fish? I can't imagine the sharks would since the glo fish are too big to fit in their mouth because they are small sharks. Any ideas??? I am just puzzled where my pink glo fish could have gone!

If the glofish died, any of those fish could have eaten it. Have you ruled out any bad water parameters? Have you looked EVERYWHERE in and around the tank?

I did I pretty much tore my tank apart this morning looking for it, I even pulled the filter out and checked it to see if somehow it could have got in there and it just seems to have disappeared. I know it was in there last night because I was watching the 2 play in the current from the filter right before I put my kids to bed. This just really bothers me as to which fish would or could have eaten it because which ever one did I want to get them out of the tank.

The other fish may have made quick work of the bodies. Did they sell those black and white fish as iridescent sharks? If so, please consider taking them back to the pet store (they're tank busters) and pick up a test kit regardless.

First, goldfish are eurythermal so the temp alone won't bother them.

Yes, if they can catch them goldfish will eat fish that fit in their mouth, just like any fish. Zebra danios (including glofish) are fast enough to avoid most fancy goldfish though, so the glofish may have already been sick or died. If it died on its own though the other fish would also be willing to eat the body.

@snowangel....they are bala sharks, they have seemed to be pretty docile compared to the rainbow whoat first was bullying the whole tank even the gold fish who are 2 or 3 times its size but has since calmed down and leaves everyone alone.

@Fishguy....I am new to this so this may seem like a silly question but if the glofish died can they be just fineand then all of a sudden die because it seemed fine swimming and "playing" in the current with the other one last night. I didn't know if it would act funny before dying or if they can just one minute be ok then the next become a floater.

How big s this tank? A rainbow shark alone needs at least a 55 gallon... And bala sharks need more.

30 gallons I had no idea they needed so much room....how large are they going to get because the info at the store only said around 5 inches I think.

shammond15731 said:
30 gallons I had no idea they needed so much room....how large are they going to get because the info at the store only said around 5 inches I think.

Rainbows reach 7, but they claim a BIG territory. Balls reach more like a foot

Oh my!!!! This is not good! I have to get them out because a 55 gallon is just not possible as far as space goes. If I had any idea they would get that huge I would have never brought them home, right now they are only about 2 1/2 inches! Thank you for the info!

shammond15731 said:
Oh my!!!! This is not good! I have to get them out because a 55 gallon is just not possible as far as space goes. If I had any idea they would get that huge I would have never brought them home, right now they are only about 2 1/2 inches! Thank you for the info!

Your welcome! I made the same mistake with a rainbow shark when I was a noob, and put it in a ten gallon. It died of stress before I could take it back.

I wouldn't say a 55 minimum for rainbows, but you are quite overstocked considering full size of the fish. Most concerning are the bala sharks, which can hit 10-12" and like to school. They should be in something like a 125.

Some fish don't show signs of illness before dying. How long have you had the glofish? If your goldfish are relatively fast and managed to catch the glofish while sleeping the glofish may not have been sick at all.

I took the balas and the rainbow to the local aquarium shop here and the owner was very helpful and surprised that someone actually wanted to bring him fish that were not sick or infected with anything, I tried explaining to him I just wanted to do what was best for the fish I guess he didn't believe me until he saw my fish. I also took him the gold fish and in turn I bought some tetras for my tank and will be getting more of the glofish to school with the one I have left. Hopefully things will balance out now. Oh and I found out how to tell if my platties are male or female and I see I have two males and one female, hopefully I won't get babies!

shammond15731 said:
I took the balas and the rainbow to the local aquarium shop here and the owner was very helpful and surprised that someone actually wanted to bring him fish that were not sick or infected with anything, I tried explaining to him I just wanted to do what was best for the fish I guess he didn't believe me until he saw my fish. I also took him the gold fish and in turn I bought some tetras for my tank and will be getting more of the glofish to school with the one I have left. Hopefully things will balance out now. Oh and I found out how to tell if my platties are male or female and I see I have two males and one female, hopefully I won't get babies!

You probably will get babies. Platies and guppies are the rabbits of the aquarium world. Way to go on taking the others back! They'll find a good home. :)

You probably will get babies. Platies and guppies are the rabbits of the aquarium world. Way to go on taking the others back! They'll find a good home. :)

Was thinking more along the lines of tribbles, lol.

That's awesome that you took the bigger ones back... hope your stocking goes well. :)

Back
Top Bottom