Will I be overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantnoob

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there, I'm currently going through the fishless cycling process in my new lightly planted tank. Its a 70 gallon long tank (4 ft x 1.5ft x 1.5 ft) with a 20 gallon sump and an eheim 240 GPH canister filter. After reading through a lot of material, I've come up with a stocking scheme, but would love to get some additional thoughts, especially to make sure I'm not over stocked. Definitely appreciate your time!

So here it is:

Giant Danios - 6
Tiger Barbs - 10
Rosy Barbs - 6
Boesemani Rainbows - 6
Siamese Algae Eaters - 4

Alternative:
Giant Danios - 6
Tiger Barbs - 8
Rosy Barbs - 6
Boesemani Rainbows - 5
Upside Down Catfish - 6
SAE - 4

I really liked the second one because of the upside down catfish, but not sure if the tiger barbs will harass them. Hopefully the numbers of the Barbs will help.

The SAE's are to take care of potential algae issues that come with the planted tank and lighting. I'm going for a low tech setup and hope to keep the algae down, but let's see. I've thought about a Bristlenose Pleco instead of the SAEs but not sure if it'll get harassed by the barbs. Would love your thoughts on that too.

Once again, thank you so much for your time and advice!

Dee

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

This is just me as I tend to like larger schools. I would drop the rosy barbs in the first selection, add a bn catfish (or something for the bottom), and increase the school sizes slightly - probably on the tiger barbs and danios.

Hi there! Thanks for the reply. I was starting to wonder if someone would help. I think you're right. The more I've looked at it, ive felt that I could do with a bigger school of tiger barbs jut so they leave the others alone. I just got my first batch - the danios, and I already went with a slightly larger school of 8. I'm even thinking about dropping the boesemanis as I've heard they have different temperature requirements. I'm planning on a bristle nose pleco at the bottom, but are there others that would work well with the barbs? I'll look up bn catfish, are there group requirements for them, or are they loners? Once again, thanks for the advice.

Good question on the temperature requirements, I'm not really sure - perhaps someone will know. I do like rosy barbs (my last two are about 5 years old) but like tiger barbs slightly better at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom