Will I be Overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanaticbooks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the 28 gal. hexagon with great bacteria. I ended up having to use 2 tsp. ammonia per 24 hours to keep them fed.

Finally was able to start buying fish last Friday.

Bought Friday: 10 Harlequin Raspbora; 4 cory julii; 5 Nerite snails

Bought Tuesday (today): 10 Neon Tetras, 4 cory julii

Now I KNOW these will fit in fine even when they grow. They are all young but have had neons over the years.

Here's my concern.....

This coming Friday I would like to get some guppies. The Fish Guy at the store thought I could easily have 10 guppies in there. He is getting a lot of guppies from Europe that he says are beautiful.

With what I have in here, I'm thinking I can have some guppies, but do you think 10 is too many? Or am I wrong in even thinking about adding them.

Advice Please?

Attachments

• DSCN2008.jpg
    DSCN2008.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN2007.jpg
    DSCN2007.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 73
Hi, I think 10 would be too many, there are already a good amount of fish in there. Have you tested your water since you bought the new fish? By the way, nice selections of fish!:)

Yes, I have kept a tight watch on the water.

I changed 1/4 out last night just to lower Nitrates from about 20-40 since I knew I was getting fish today.

All others are great--- 7.0 to 7.2 ph; 0 ammonia/nitrites

We tested for nitrates at fish store (Master kit in use) and they were between 10 and 20 so my water change did its job.

Everything steady.

I will be checking water later tonight after the fish have been in here for awhile.

They would be all male. I also would not buy any more until I lose some. I avoid fish areas when my tank is stocked to avoid temptation. :lol:

Any suggestions on if I can have some guppies and if so how many would be feasible?

Ya I think your tank is already adequately filled, also with guppies they tend to have their colorful tails nipped at.

Since your tank is new, make sure you are supplementing the lack of algae in the tank for the nerite with wafers. Five nerites in a brand new tank might be an issue, they are better in older tanks with some algae built up. But, you can always throw some in.

I put a big algae wafer in the tank every 2 or 3 days and alternate with the sinking wafer (little teeny ones) about 5 at a time.

There was some algae on the walls since this tank has been operational for a couple of years at least and I just took a pleco out a couple of months ago.

I didn't clean the walls at the time I cleaned the rock and filters and changed water. They seem to be doing fine.

I would hold off on the guppies. I think you have a well stocked tank, especially for a tank that's new.

Did you quarantine the neons? I didn't QT mine and lost half the residents of my community tank to neon tetra disease. :nono:

No, I don't quarantine. BUT the lfs does and these are from a tank that was full of them.

They seem just fine.

I think I will hold off until the rasp. and neons are a little bigger. That will give me a chance to see how often I have to change the water, clean the rocks as I do, control the testing stuff.

The bacteria should be fine because I was up to 2 tsp. a day to keep it balanced before I bought the fish. Those little suckers just loved it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom