Will I have to do a mini cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm redesigning my 200L and I'm getting tide of everything and going from an amazon biotop to a river/mountain/stream biotope
At the moment my fluval is in a bucket with heater, rocks, sand and 5 ppm of ammonia.

When I have the tank full of water and with all the decorations in will wi have to do a mini cycle? All the bacteria will be I the filter and it won't be on the sand and plants etc..

My question:
Will I have to do a mini cycle to get all the bb onto the sand etc?
If so how long will be a good amount if time? 2-3 weeks?

Also will the small amount of sand in the bucket with the fluval act as seeded stuff? (so will the sand carry bb?)

I'm interested in the answer to this question. Good luck w/ your switch. A new setup, yay! Exciting!!

The sand may carry some, but probably not much. Most of the BB will be on your filter. Is it running in the bucket or just placed in there? If it's just placed you should run an air stone in there too to give the bacteria some oxygen if it's going to be in there for a while.

You may or may not have a mini-cycle, it's hard to say, every setup is different. I've upgraded tanks twice and changed everything in them twice except for the filter media and did not have any toxin spikes but it's always good to keep testing and check. If you do, it shouldn't last long; a week on average, give or take I'd say.

It's in a 40L bucket with 2 air stones and a heater at 26 or 37 degrees.
Meh I'll just do it just to be on the safe side, I'm going to be using liquid ammonia so I can just do a big water change when it's done

Back
Top Bottom