Will I Need a Larger Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now in my 55g tank I have 2 gold and 2 blue gouramis, 4 rainbows, 4 rosy barbs, 2 corys, 1 bala shark, 1 pictus cats, 1 pleco and 3 angelfish. The gouramis are about 3", the same for the bala and pictus, the rainbows are about 2", pleco about 4", rosys less than 1" and the same for the angels. I want to add another pictus and some otos, but do I already have to many fish in the tank? :confused: Will I need a larger tank soon? I have an idea of how big they will eventually get, but I'm just not sure how soon they will outgrow the tank. I feed brine shrimp, tubifex worms, algae tabs and occasionally flakes. Does what you feed your fish affect their growth?:thanks::dance:

You could always try to rehome the fish. The bala will get way too big, depending on the pleco it would get too big too. Even with those two out, I still think you should upgrade your tank.

Have to agree with bruinsbro1997 ... just to keep the Bala and pleco (if it's a common) puts you in the 120gal range. Your tank is fine for the time being for your stock, but will get tight as they grow. If you rehome the Bala and Pleco ... you may still need a 75 gal for the remaining stock ... those gouramis can reach 6 inches.

I agree with Bruins. Those fish are going to need a much larger tank sooner rather than later. As far as I know what you feed doesn't affect growth; but they can be stunted if they are kept in a tank too small for them and the process can be painful and not very fair to the fish. :(

Right now in my 55g tank I have 2 gold and 2 blue gouramis, 4 rainbows, 4 rosy barbs, 2 corys, 1 bala shark, 1 pictus cats, 1 pleco and 3 angelfish. The gouramis are about 3", the same for the bala and pictus, the rainbows are about 2", pleco about 4", rosys less than 1" and the same for the angels. I want to add another pictus and some otos, but do I already have to many fish in the tank? :confused: Will I need a larger tank soon? I have an idea of how big they will eventually get, but I'm just not sure how soon they will outgrow the tank. I feed brine shrimp, tubifex worms, algae tabs and occasionally flakes. Does what you feed your fish affect their growth?:thanks::dance:

I don't know about all those fish But I do know about some of them. First, the Bala Shark may be small now but it can get up to 14" long. They are major swimmers & jumpers. So they require a minimum of a 6'L tank with a very tight lid or they will jump right out onto the floor.
Depending on which kind of Pleco you have, if it's a Common Pleco your looking a fish that will be nearly 2' long with a VERY HIGH bio-load. He'll require a minimum of 125g (IMO).
You have maybe six months before they start to have problems with the size of the tank, but IMO you'll have compatibility problems before you have size problems.
What you feed your fish will affect their health before it will affect their size. Malnutrition isn't a very good way to keep big fish in a small tank.
Because you have so many fish that will grow up to be good sized to very large fish, they will out grow it faster than if you only had say 1 fish that would be to big.
I think bruinsbro has the right idea with, needing to both re-home and upgrade to a much larger tank.

Thanks everyone. It is obvious I need to rehome the bala shark and the pleco (common). I haven't had fish for many years, and when I did it was 10g and small fish, I'm affraid I didn't do enough research first. I've never had to rehome a fish. How do you do that? All I can think of is to see if my lfs would take them. Any other suggestions?

I'm planning on getting a 75g tank and moving the gouramis and either the angels or the rainbows into it and keep the remaining fish in the 55g and I'll rehome the bala and pleco. Will that help?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It is obvious I need to rehome the bala shark and the pleco (common). I haven't had fish for many years, and when I did it was 10g and small fish, I'm affraid I didn't do enough research first. I've never had to rehome a fish. How do you do that? All I can think of is to see if my lfs would take them. Any other suggestions?

I'm planning on getting a 75g tank and moving the gouramis and either the angels or the rainbows into it and keep the remaining fish in the 55g and I'll rehome the bala and pleco. Will that help?

Start with your LFS, after that you can always try craigslist. I've been able to find homes for my fry that way.

Since I'm going to rehome my pleco, I will need to get replacement algea eater(s). I know not to get Chinese algea eaters because of my angels and gouramis and probably my rainbows. Anyway what do you all suggest I get. I want to avoid more mistakes. I have been thinking about otos?:confused:

Since I'm going to rehome my pleco, I will need to get replacement algea eater(s). I know not to get Chinese algea eaters because of my angels and gouramis and probably my rainbows. Anyway what do you all suggest I get. I want to avoid more mistakes. I have been thinking about otos?:confused:

IMO, before you start worrying about what to replace the Pleco with, you should take one step at a time.
1. Re-home the Pleco & Bala Shark
2. Set up and cycle the 75g tank
3. Decide which fish are going in which tank
4. I'll post a list for you of the different types of Plecos that would be
suitable for both your 55g & your 75g tanks
5. Pick out which Plecos you like best
6. Get your favorite Pleco (that fits your tank) and enjoy

There are so many different types of Plecos, other than Common or BN. There are even several types of BN to choose from. But to prevent future complications, it's best for you and your fish to take it one step at a time.
But that's just how I would do it, if it were me. Fewer headaches or complications.

Just wondering how it goes with the re-homing. I know it isn't easy to do, especially with the larger fish, most people don't have the tank space.
Good luck

Will I Need a Larger Tank

Thanks for asking. I still have the pleco and bala in my 55g tank. I called my LFS they said they would take them and I could get something else. I'm also going to take in my pictus and 4 rosy barbs. I'm concerned that the barbs will get to aggressive when they get bigger as they are already showing a lot of aggression and they are very small. Anyway, my daughter is taking me Monday. :fish1::fish1:

One of the signs of a good fishkeeper is doing what's right for the fish. Kudos to you for taking the proper steps to ensure that you end up with a healthy tank full of happy fish!

Thanks for asking. I still have the pleco and bala in my 55g tank. I called my LFS they said they would take them and I could get something else. I'm also going to take in my pictus and 4 rosy barbs. I'm concerned that the barbs will get to aggressive when they get bigger as they are already showing a lot of aggression and they are very small. Anyway, my daughter is taking me Monday. :fish1::fish1:

I'm so glad your LFS is taking your fish for you, that makes re-homing so much easier.
While your there you should ask them what other types of Plecos they carry or can order for you. If you get a list I can let you know which one are OK for your 55g tank. We all know that the Bristlenose fit but, there are several others that will work too. But I can't help with that until I know which ones are available to you.
One day on a whim I asked my not so LFS what type of smaller not to expensive Plecos they had and we bought 2 really cool Green Dragon BN Plecos. They were really small but they were only $8.99 each. We got the last 2 they had in stock which happened to be a male & a female, I'm hoping they will breed when they get older.The male's name is Draco and are female is Dynaries. My 10 year old Grandson is gaga about having anything called a dragon. She was less than an inch long when we bought her, but it turns out that the GDBN Plecos are pretty hardy little guys even when they are so young.
Here's a recent photo of Dynaries, so you can see what the little Green Dragon Plecos look like. We are all really happy with them, they eat all the algae they can find. My tank is crystal clear and they are kind of cute too. They don't seem to be real skittish like a lot of Plecos can be, which is nice, it means we get to see them.

Attachments

• Green Dragon Bristlenose Plecostamus-Dynaries.jpg
    Green Dragon Bristlenose Plecostamus-Dynaries.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom