Will i throw off cycle by adding plants now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will I throw my cycle off if I add plants? I have a 15 gal column w/ a HOB, an 8" bubble wand, gravel substrate, an 8" FS T5 light. There's plenty of indirect natural light that I can control. I want to get some low light, attach to DW kinds of plants. I want to know if this will skew building up my BB if the plants are eating up the ammonia, nitrItes & nitrAtes? Or do plants eat up ammonia & nitrAtes only? I just wonder how this plays into mid-cycle if I'm watching numbers climb to judge what to do next. I hope this makes sense!! Thanks!!

PH is stable
Temp: 84
Ammonia: 1.0ppm
NitrItes: >5.0ppm
NitrAtes: 40 ppm

Just added a gallon of Prime treated water yesterday b/c of evap.

PS--This is a fish less cycle!!

Ok, thanks for advice. But if anybody else can chime in, I'd like to know if I should expect a diff in params after I add plants. Or in length of my cycle. Thks!!

I'm pretty sure the plants are mainly going to use the nitrAte, which shouldn't disturb the cycle at all.

Plants do eat up the ammonia and nitrates, but that means that there will not have to be as many bacteria to support the bio load of fish. So it can mess it up slightly if you do add plants that quickly eat up the ammonia and nitrates, then remove them, but if the plants are there to stay it is helpful to your cycle if you add plants.

Link119 said:
Plants do eat up the ammonia and nitrates, but that means that there will not have to be as many bacteria to support the bio load of fish. So it can mess it up slightly if you do add plants that quickly eat up the ammonia and nitrates, then remove them, but if the plants are there to stay it is helpful to your cycle if you add plants.

Thanks for everybody's replies!!

Yeah, they'll be there to stay. So it may shorten my cycle if I'm shooting for a 4ppm ammonia tolerance. I'm not trying to shorten, but I just want some natural plants in there. I finally feel comfy enough to manage plants after all my research. I just wanted to hear everybody's thoughts. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom