Will my divider Wall hold my fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

executiv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI Friends,
I already have a 72 inches length ,30 inches height x 8 inches wide Hole in the dividing wall between my living room and Family room on the ground floor of my house.
I am planning to put a Aquarium 60x 20x 8 inches into it.
I will hold around 25 gallons of cold water which means around 200 lbs of water weight plus aquarium glass weight should be around 120 bs.
Plus rocks and other accessories .So it should be under 350 lbs.
Now my question is will my Divider wall will be able to bear this weight as usually divider wall is not a load bearing wall .
If your answer is no then what I shall do to reinforce this wall without tearing it apart.
Your valuable advise will be highly appreciated

Picture of opening ?
Even a non load bearing wall is built to code..Studs every 16"oc...
IMO it should be fine but a picture will help to confirm a little better...

It all depends. Did you cut the hole or was it built into the house that way. If it's like a so called bar built in think you'll be fine. If you cut it I'd us some 2x4s and screws and make a frame (stand) to fit into the/ behind the drywall and slap a thick board on top, like a table top look. A lot of times when they are built in a "bar" it's pretty strange. If it can hold a couple people @150lbs each just sitting on it. You'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom