Will my heater hurt my suckerfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolyne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I recently got a 20gal Aquarium about a week ago. I’ve slowly but surely been setting it up to create a proper home for my fish!

I currently have:

2 Dalmatian Molly
2 Balloon Belly Molly
1 Guppy
2 Gourami
1 Albino Catfish

I live in Arizona so the climate here is very warm and I generally keep my house around 76 degrees Fahrenheit. However my boyfriend likes to sleep in the cold so the temp usually drops down to around 70 at night which concerns me for the tank temperature.

My tank has not had a heater installed in it yet, and so far it has been keeping a standard temperature of 75-80 degrees. I am however worried that my tank might fluctuate too much and I would like to install a heater. However I’m concerned my catfish will attach himself on to it and essentially cook himself to death.

He loves to explore every inch of the tank and even braves crawling over the filter cage. The heater I have is a 100watt Submergible Cylinder heater by Top Fin.

I’m not sure if there’s an external heater I might be able to attach that may be better, or if it’s even going to be an issue with him crawling on it. I’m already in love with each and every one of my fish so I wanted to get some advice before potentially putting any at risk.

Thank you!

There are models of heaters with a plastic guard on them. Check for the "cons" on them as well as best rated options. I haven't used one myself.

Previously when I had a lazy catfish which would just stay in one spot and get a burn occasionally I whip stitched together a guard out of needlepoint plastic canvas.

Do NOT do the measuring and all that with the heater plugged in - just trying to be clear :eek:

Made the tube shape a bit larger than the heater and sewed (whip stitched) it together with a small multi color fishing line used for fly fishing fly tying. You can also use regular clear fishing line.

[It was just too much money to spend for new roll of actual fishing line for a heater cover only. I found they fly tying line for a couple bucks at a large big box retailer starting with W in the sporting goods / fishing department.

It was also found (again after I misplaced the original one) at a actual sporting goods store for maybe a dollar or so more. The reason I used it was because it comes in multi color options, you can use it to tie plants/moss to stones and DW.]

Cut 2 circles which were a little bit larger than the heater fit to the out side of the plastic mesh tube sewed the bottom.

Took the heater NOT plugged in, and test fit how it would set in it and noted where the heater wire would be....

Then took the top and cut an X inside of the circle with a little hole at the spot the heater wire was - just allow it to stay put above and not slip off of the heater. I used an Exacto pen knife. I think my first version just has some line tied across the top to keep it at the top and not slip off.

Try matching the color of the plastic mesh and the background/ heater.

An additional side note would be to tie a knot every few inches as it it were to break there wouldn't be a lot of it unraveled which a fish could get trapped in it.

If... you were interested about how I did it... lol.

Back
Top Bottom