Will my new 55gal be overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurpleSmurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, I'm going to let my 10 gallon finish cycling before I start this for both ease of establishing the 55 gallon and making sure I have my plan and money in order. For now this is hypothetical, but I want to check its feasibility. Please let me know of any problems or conflicts.

Current contents of my 10gal:
3 Zebra Danio
2 Long Fin Blue Danio
1 Strawberry Platy
1 Gold Crescent Platy
1 Red Fire Gourami

55 Gallon Semi-Planted Community (36x16x22):
Will run through a fishless cycle using gravel from the current 10 gallon. Temp will be held at 76-78, pH around 7.

Aquascaping / Flora: Substrate will be a gravel / planter sand mix. Slate will be used to add a shelf on one side of the tank. Drift wood, slate caves built into the shelf, java moss, anubias afzelii, and java fern (floating and anchored) will provide hiding places.

Fauna: 2 Red Fire Dwarf Gourami
1 Turqouise Dwarf Gourami (Female)
4 Strawberry Platy (2 Male / 2 Female)*
2 Gold Crescent Platy (2 Females)*
4 Long Fin Blue Danio*
5 Zebra Danio (2 Male / 3 Female)*
4 Harlequin Rasboras (1 Male / 3 Female)
3 Sterba Cory Cats
2 Mystery Snails
4 Amano Shrimp

Hardware:Fluval 304 MSF Canister Filter or Aquaclear 110 (AC110 is prime candidate)
DIY Stand
Lighting is unknown, still researching. 96w okay for plants?
DIY CO2 if neccessary
Whisper 30g-60g Heater

10 Gallon Semi-Planted Guppy/Danio Tank:

Flora: Gravel substrate, Anacharis, and java moss for hiding places.

Fauna: 10 Fancy Fin Guppies (2 Male / 8 Female)
Mystery Snail(s)
Ghost Shrimp

Hardware: Tetra Whisper Power Filter 10 (UGF currently in tank will remove when I setup the 55gal.)
Standard 10gal hood lighting (Like 10w or something)
Whisper 5g-10g Heater

This look okay? Or do I need to run back to square one and do some more research?

* - Currently have some of all of these fish in the 10gal setup.

I'd say that your 10 gal is overstocked. Gourami's in general need a larger tank than 10 gal, preferably at least a 29 gal tank. They need the swimming space. I see that you will be moving them to the 55 gal, that's good, but in the meantime, watch them.

Other than that, the tank selections look great! I can tell you did your research. Although, in the future 10 gal tank, you may want to cut back on the Guppies. They breed like crazy.

Just as long as you don't add all the fish at once, sounds like a great tank! Post some pics when you have it done.

I'm thinking of starting with two guppies and breeding them. So the 55gal would really house my guppy pair until mating, then switch them to the 10gal to birth, then back into the 55gal while I tend to the fry. Trouble is I really dislike empty tanks =/

So altogether you are getting 3 gourami? and turquoise dwarf is a female? Male sure that one fire dwarf gourami is male and the other fire gourami female too. Then you will have two female gouramis and 1 male, so that reduces agression

Back
Top Bottom