will oto still eat algae if fed zucchini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuG

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I still have a little bit of diatoms left in my 10 gallon tank, and my oto cat has been making it's way through it pretty quickly. In fact it's getting cleaned up so rapidly that I'm thinking of supplementing with some blanched Zucchini.
My question is, once I start feeding zucchini will it basically "spoil" him, and that'll be the end of the algae eating, or will he choose to eat both?
Obviously I don't want him to starve (my understanding is that's the biggest mistake a lot of people make with this fish), and it seems like he just about eats round the clock, but I do still want him to lend me a helping hand on the algae cleanup!

Maybe twice a week on the zucchini? Leaving it in for 24hrs?
Also, will cucumber work as well? I have a ton of that in my garden! If yes, raw or blanched?

Twice a week is fine, I don't leave mine in for 24 hours, more like 10-12. I guess it wouldn't make a difference. Cucumber is fine, blanched is preferred.

Agreed, twice a week sounds good - definately blanch them and try to remove as many of the seeds as you can. There's lots of veggies that they'll eat, so you can just experiment and see what they like best.

okeydoke, thanks both for the advice.
Love this little fish, and would hate to be neglecting him.
Ah, that brings up another point. I call it a him, but I really don't know. Is there an easy way to tell with Oto Cats?

i know its all ready been covered just like to add my comment too :D mine eat algea and veggies aslong as you dont feed them to often because they will just get bored of algae,there are many veggies you can feed aslong as you blanch,just try and see what yours like,also if you have a problem of floating after blanching and dont have a veggie clip i just get a fork and push it in so the points face the gravel and bury the end a little so you cant see it :D hope your fishy does well

Ah, that brings up another point. I call it a him, but I really don't know. Is there an easy way to tell with Oto Cats?

Females are larger, rounder and generally bigger than the males. No really easy way to tell as far as I know.

Females are larger, rounder and generally bigger than the males. No really easy way to tell as far as I know.

Better not tell that to any of the women I know!

Sorry, could.... not resist.

LMAO @ HN1, would have to agree w/ that!!

smmers57: I was just going to tie it to a rock. Figured that would be as good as anything, although I kind of like your fork idea, sounds nice and simple. I like simple!

haha thank you,yes it is simple just what ive done for a few years now in small tanks xD

Back
Top Bottom