Will this light work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be fine - but that is a lot of light. What size tank are you putting it on?

Welcome to AA By the way!

It's an odd-sized tank I bought from someone on Craigslist that was leaking. I resealed it, and started purchasing supplies. I tested for leaks for about a week, and built a stand for it since I couldn't find one long enough for a reasonable $$$. It's 56" long, and measures about 62 gallons.

I was just going to place the light in the center of the tank, and keep the plants near the center under the light since the fixture will actually be 8" short (4" per side).

I haven't found a light longer than 48" at any LFS that wasn't over $250.

BTW, thanks for the welcome!

I think 4 t5ho bulbs is going to be a lot of light for a planted tank. Are you planning to inject CO2?

It will grow some fabulous plants, but if this is your first foray into planted tanks, you might want to consider a dual t5ho fixture to start - or you could run this fixture with 2 bulbs instead of 4 for awhile.

I was planning on only running 2 of the bulbs (and keeping the other 2 as spares).

I also ran across this 60" light which would be perfect, but for $130, it seems sketchy at best. Has anyone ever tried on of these?

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

The tank dimensions are 56x12x22.

I decided to go with the 60" Odyssea light. Since it will be my first foray into plants, I don't think it will be heavily planted right away.

With that said, should I keep the 2 80W Actinic Blue lights off, or run them as well?

You can turn them on if you like the coloration - but the actinic light will not help your plants. There are some anecdotal accounts of actinics causing algae growth, but I have yet to see any scientific proof of it yet.

Back
Top Bottom