Wondering if....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncfishygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, everybody! Just to let you know, I'm new to this page, so I don't really know what I'm doing lol

I need some help. I am hoping to buy a male beta fish for a 5 gallon tank, currently un-cycled. I know how dangerous/bad it is for the fish to be placed in an un-cycled tank, but I'm having to get the fish pretty quickly and may not have time to wait on the cycle of the 5 gallon. I was wondering if I could place the beta in a 1.5 gallon (which has been very successful with other betas in the past, but has no filter or heater) while the 5 gallon cycles? I know this is a very small and cruel space to keep any fish in, but I really need to get it quickly, and it has worked very well before.

Also, is it safe to put at least 2 ghost shrimp with the beta fish in the 5 gallon tank when the cycling is completed? I know betas are very aggressive, but would it be aggressive towards the ghost shrimps? I have been researching this, but get different answers. I really need a bottom cleaner, so if not shrimp, what else could I put with a male beta?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. I'd just put the betta in the 5g and do a fish-in cycle. The shrimp are hit and miss, it might be fine but it might not. If you aren't overly attached to the shrimp then I'd try it and see.

Make sure to use water conditioner/dechlorinator and change the water daily while he's in the interim container. Malaysian trumpet snails are supposed to be goodand stir up the sand (if you go with sand). I have never had any and prefer the mystery snails because they are colorful and get really big.
To help you get started with the 5g you can buy some bacteria starter. Supposedly the refrigerated kind works better. You also need a water test kit like API brand freshwater test kit(amazon has them cheap). Can't rely on strips to be accurate. A thermometer is essential and you may need a heater especially in winter. Hope these tidbits help!

Welcome to the forum. I'd just put the betta in the 5g and do a fish-in cycle. The shrimp are hit and miss, it might be fine but it might not. If you aren't overly attached to the shrimp then I'd try it and see.

Ok, Thank you! If I do do a fish-in cycle, which chemicals do I need to buy? I've researched fish less-cycling, but not so much with fish (being that most people say it's cruel) I already have water conditioner, and have used it on the water, but nothing else.

Only thing I'd add to your tank is prime by seachem. That dechlorinates your water. If you are willing to do daily water changes, fish-in cycling is not cruel and like others said would be less cruel then putting the betta in the 1.5g
When you get it set up post pics!

ncfishygirl said:
Ok, Thank you! If I do do a fish-in cycle, which chemicals do I need to buy? I've researched fish less-cycling, but not so much with fish (being that most people say it's cruel) I already have water conditioner, and have used it on the water, but nothing else.

Fish in cycling takes a little more work because you want to keep things as healthy & safe as you can for your fish, personally that's how I've cycled all 3 of my tanks. Once I knew what I was doing I haven't lost any of my fish. I lost one female Betta in the beginning because of my ignorance. Water changes of around 50% almost daily will be your best friend. The API Master test kit & this forum will be you other two best friends. When I do a water change I add Prime & that is all I use. Your Betta is going to be a very happy fish in a 5g.

Back
Top Bottom