Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahabo View Post
hmmm, not sure about the submerging the heater question, but the heater won't burn your betta. Mine actually likes to rest right near it on the suction cups. You'll notice when you touch it that it's warm but not hot.

As far as when to put him in...I would wait until your tank is cycled and heater running at ideal temperature. Then you can slowly acclimate him to the new tank. Here are some sites that talk about acclimating:

Acclimating Tropical Fish to your Aquarium

Acclimating your new betta

I would NOT recommend letting the water from the bag/cup go into your newly set up tank. After acclimating, gently fish him out of the bag/cup and into the new tank.

By the way, how long has your betta been in the cup?

Thanks for all the info. As for my betta, I've had him 4 days. Not sure how long the pet store has had him in there.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
I run visitherm stealth heaters in all of my tanks. They work just fine completely controlled. The control knob is on the end of the heater cylinder.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

They are completely submersible, the line on the heater is the MINIMUM submersion level. The nob on the end is used for adjusting the temperature. I do recommend running the heater for at least 24hrs without any inhabitants in the aquarium. This gives time to get the temperature set and ensure that it's functioning properly. Even though the dial has temperature markings, these are approximate and you may have to adjust up or down to get the actual temp you want.

Once you are ready to move your betta to his new home, you'll want to acclimate him to his new home. This will give him time to adjust to the new temp without shocking him. You can get a bag to float him, or do drip acclimation. Both would work well.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sahabo Send a message via Yahoo to Sahabo
I would recommend changing his water in the cup you are keeping him in. You will need to do that regularly until his tank is cycled. How much are you feeding him while he's in the cup?
Sahabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So far I have just been adding water (that has been left out 24 hours) when his water level gets low in his cup and I've been using an eye dropper to pick up his waste. And I feed him 3 pellets in the morning and 3 pellets at night.

When you say I should change the water in his cup, do I need to switch all his water daily?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no, sorry to be unclear. it's probably best to do at least a 50% partial water change a few times a week though, just to keep the water really clean in such a small container. Good job removing his waste and letting the new water sit for 24 hours

AA vets jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here!
Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would suggest soaking his pellets for just a little bit so that they don't constipate him. You can also feed him peas, I use the frozen ones and just nuke them for a few minutes in a little water let them cool and then squeez them to take the skin off and feed him the pulp you can use a knife the cut them into bite size pieces, the peas will help prevent consitpation. Other than this it sound like you are doing a good job.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi there,
Congratulations on your new betta! I just wanted to mention that your betta should not keep living in the little cup until your tank is cycled, unless you plan to do an instant cycle (e.g., using established media from another tank or Bio-Spira). It would be inhumane for him to stay in the cup for as long as a cycle takes to complete. Even for a tiny tank, you are talking weeks.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, many people don't even worry about cycling with such a small tank. You can manage by just doing regular water changes ((as long as you are religious about them)....and the cycle will happen on its own eventually. Since you are already doing water changes in the cup, you might as well do them in the main tank and let your little guy have some quality of life. Low light plants will also help improve water quality, and your betta will love them. Do monitor ammonia and nitrite levels even though you are changing water. You can buy a test kit...or at the very least, pet stores sell little sticker things to put on the tank that will alert you if ammonia levels start to climb.

Be sure to use a good dechlorinator and match the temperature when you change water. Letting the water sit out will take care of chlorine, but your water supply may also have heavy metals that need removing, and a good dechlorinator will do that.

I had an Azoo palm filter and loved it. I think it's still around here somewhere and still works.

Have fun!
fearlessfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry. I didn't clue into the fact that you already had bought the betta. Although now that I look more closely at your first picture, I can see it in the foreground in the store cup. I would go ahead and add your Betta to the aquarium now. The larger water volume will be much easier to keep at safe levels of Ammonia and Nitrate than that little cup. It will also help minimize temperature fluctuations. You can test the filter and heater in a bucket to ensure they're functioning properly before putting them in with the betta.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yes it does make more sense to put him in the 2.5 gallon now. See Xaoey, I'm still learning!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com