Would a honey gourami get along with male platies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a ten gallon, and currently have 2 male platies, and was hoping to put a gourami in, and honeys are the smallest, so I was just wondering if I'd have aggression problems? It will probably be male. I am trying to avoid the delicate balance of peace between my platies. ( there were a few issues at the beginning, but haven't seen any lately)

I have a ten gallon, and currently have 2 male platies, and was hoping to put a gourami in, and honeys are the smallest, so I was just wondering if I'd have aggression problems? It will probably be male. I am trying to avoid the delicate balance of peace between my platies. ( there were a few issues at the beginning, but haven't seen any lately)

Honey Gourami's, also called Gold Gourami's are too big for a 10 gallon tank, and they are not the smallest of the Gourami's.

To answer your question, if you put him in a 10 there will most likely be aggression because your tank is too small. I had one in a 20 with a male Platy and he was peaceful.

Yes that tank is far too small for a Gourami, sorry. The only Gourami you might consider would be a Dwarf Gourami but you wouldn't want any other fish with it. They prefer a little space that they can rule over and it's just there in the 10g.

actually a honey gourami is a close relative to the dwarf gourami with females only reaching 2 inches and males 1.5 inches. they would do good in a 10 gallon tank with 2 platies. a gold gourami is a totally different species. look them both up. a gold gourami resembles a opaline gourami or blue gourami.

They are similar I'll give you that. I had both, not at the same time though in my 15g quite a while back. This is just my own personal experience talking but they just got too aggressive when I had too many which perhaps has given my the impression that they like a bit o turf to themselves.

It took a while and a few attempts of moving things around to establish several areas that helped keep the peace. And mine's a 15g, so that's the reason I was suggesting that you might encounter issues in the 10.

really? maybe you just got an aggressive one. there have been aggressive corys and everything. theyre supposed to be so peaceful that you can keep more than 1 in a 20 gallon long

I'm pretty sure that honey gouramis and gold gouramis are different species. I have had 2 that lived together peacefully for about a year but unfortunately lost one to a python incident :(

They are not nearly as large as gold (a variant of the blue gourami)

Honey gouramis and gold gouramis are TWO different species. I've kept both. The gold gourami is like five inches long, and the honey gouarmi is only 1.5 inches long. Gold gouramis are like opaline or blue gouramis, and honey gouramis are like any other dwarf gourami. The gold gourami was moved to a different take with bigger fish because it was too big for my tank.

Every where I looked the honey gourami was smaller than e dwarf, and I've never heard of it being called. Gold gourami... :(

it's about the same size maybe a little smaller, and the two are different species. one getting big on getting the size of a dwarf gourami. i dont know where the found that they're the same thing. you're totally ok with adding that gourami.

Thanks :D il update if I get him. And hopefully he wont be aggressive. From what I've read they're supposed to be peaceful... Fingers crossed :)

Yes you could add a honey gourami or a dwarf gourami to a 10 gal. Or you could do a trio of sparkling aka pygmy gouramis (1 male 2 females). I have had great success mixing gourami with platties, but if you've got an agressive one on your hands it may not work out.

Back
Top Bottom