Would like opinions on my stocking choices and couple questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cieno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone ^_^,

First this isn't a "help me pick my fish" thread lol, I would just like to hear everyone's opinion on my picks as this will be my first tank( just started fishless cycle so it'll still be awhile hehe).

36G tank -

6 Zebra Danio(for some reason I really like these even if they are plain looking lol)

6 Cardinal Tetra(always a fun watch at the LFS)

6 Cherry Barbs(insert nifty comment on why I chose these here...:ROFLMAO:)

1 Mystery Snail(every home needs a vacuum and their cute to boot)

1 Bristlenose Pleco(because IMHO plecos rock!)

1 Honey or Opaline Gourami(this im in the air about, I really would prefer the Opaline but read they can become overly aggressive with smaller fish, like most of my choices happen to be lol. Opinions welcome doubly so on this pick)

So thems my picks, I don't think im going to be overstocked(used a few fish calculator thingys to help me guess ^_~) and am really excited for when I can actually start stocking my tank.

This leads me to my questions though, with schooling fish how many would be safe to add at a time. I'm fairly certain I don't want to add 6 fish all at once but I could be wrong due to my newbiness. Second, would it be better to add the schooling fish or the others first? I'm trying to avoid any possible territorial conflicts(i'm looking at you gourami >.>....)

Thanks for reading ^_^

Cieno

I think Pearl Gouramis are more peaceful than Opalines when they get large. A dwarf Gourami or a Pearl would be my pick. All the 3 Spot Gouramis ( lots of colors including the Opalines ) are very aggressive as they mature.

I would swap out the Mystery Snail for a Nerite.
They won't breed, they are beautiful and they won't eat plants. Your fish would appreciate plants. Even just try tying some Java Fern to rocks.

Regarding the Zebra Danios: You can mix it up a bit, just make sure they are all Danio Rerio. Examples: Zebras (long and short finned), Goldens (long and short finned), Blues, Leopards, etc... Heck, if you are into them, even GloFish.

seems pretty good. make sure you add the gourami last(so he doesn't claim the entire tank as his and be aggressive to the other fish)

Thanks for the replies.

No guess as to how many school fish to add at a time? Just don't want to overload my cycle once I get it established lol.

No breeding sounds like a good thing for the nerite snails, but none of my LFS carry them >_< gonna have to hope the one mystery snail doesn't surprise me lol.

I think I may change to a Pearl Gourami if my lfs carry them(I could try ordering online I spose but youch those shipping charges will hurt XD) they are really beautiful. Either way I have plenty of time to look since it'll be going in last(thanks for that tidbit).

i would do 1 at a time,hardiest first just in case something goes wrong(1 school,not fish)

How many fish you are adding at once depends on if you doing a fish-in or fishless cycle. If you are doing a fish-in cycle, I would only a few fish at a time, 6 at the most.
If you are doing a fishless cycle, then you can add more. Doing 6 at a time is a good idea though IMO because then you can just add a full school every time.
As for the gouramis, I think either would work, so it just depends on what you prefer. Keep an eye on whatever you get because some people have issues with gouramis getting annoyed by the hyper zebra danios, but its not usually a problem IME.

Back
Top Bottom