Would this be overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dekz

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my final plan for my 20 gallon, would this be too much?

Right now it has 3 Zebra Danios in it as it is cycling, once it's done I would like to add:

1 Sunset Variatus Platy
1 Neon Rainbowfish
4 Corys (not sure which kind yet)
8 Neon Tetras

Too much?

As far as I know, fish like Zebras, Platys, Rainbows and Corys all feel stressed and don't act natural unless they are in species groups.

You might want to consider lessening the variation and increasing the numbers of each. A lot of people really like Zebras in large numbers because they are really zippy lively fish. You could do one large school and a highlight fish, like all Zebras and a Gourami, or two small schools, or a small school of larger fish like glass cats, etc. I've got 6 White Clouds and a Beta in my 14 at the moment.

I would go with the neon tetras, 8 or more, and maybe 4-6 corys. I don't know much about the rainbow or the platy so I can't answer that for you.

I have 8 neons, 4 peppered corys, 2 albino corys, and 2 diamond tetras. All the corys have gotten better colors and seem to be happy. I started with 10 neons and 2 died off (small, pale ones from the start), the other 8 are happy and their colors have gotten much darker.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

You mean to the list that meegosh proposed?

It would depend on the species of corys you got. You are looking at wanting a max of 20 inches of fish. The 8 neon tetras would when full grown take up 10 inches of tank space. That gives you another ten to play around with. Assuming your DG only gets to an average size of 2 inches or so, that gives you 8 inches for 4 corys that average 2 inches in size.

I've read a things about problems people have had with Dwarf Gouramis having viruses. You might want to search the forum or the web to see if I'm remembering correctly and if this is still a concern. If so, I'd make sure I was buying from a trusted place.

*EDIT* Ummm several different compatibility charts (thanks Google) state that DGs are not compatible with Neons. People here who know better might want to chime in (those are the same charts that tend to say Betas can't be in community tanks). However, Honey Gouramis are. You might want to research them. Again, I would caution you to find out whether the highlight fish you are considering will be happy all by him/herself, or whether he/she will live an abreviated stressed out life because of being alone.

a cool interactive chart:
Tim's Tropicals Tropical Fish Compatibility by Name

Last edited:
I would avoid dwarf gouramis. Most of them will die of a virus, and we need to teach the fish stores to quit stocking and selling them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/dwarf-gourami-104192.html

Even if you are lucky enough to find a healthy one from a breeder, they are a territorial fish, and I personally think they are happier in something larger than a 20-gallon.

In your place, I would get a small school of neons and a couple of pretty platies, and leave out the dwarf neon (praecox) rainbows. The rainbowfish are pretty, but they prefer a lot of room to swim, and they also are happier in a school. Platies will be okay with just a couple of friends. Platies will also give you contrasting colors to the neons. You already have nice reds and blues with your neons, so you don't really need the red and blue of the rainbows.

Last edited:
I kept a dwarf gourami with 2 zebra danios, 4 neons, 2 male guppies, and 2 albino corys. I never had any issues with the DG nipping any of the other fish. The only thing I noticed is during feeding. The gourami would slowly come up to the surface and eye up the flake(s) he wanted and sometimes the neons would dart over and take it from him. He did not appreciate it, he would chase them for a few inches and give up. He would never actually nip at them, just chase them away. HTH. :)

I went to the store and bought the Neons today and I saw that he had some Juhli/Julii Corydoras. I think they look awsome, good choice?

What about upping the Neons to 10?

The tank was well established at a friend's house. He upgraded to a 33G and I took the 20G, including the substrate. I wasn't sure that the bacteria would survive the move, but apparently they did.

The Danios were producing some ammonia at first, but now the tank has tested 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite for a few days so I think I'm good to go.

I added 7 Neons today and was planning to get the other 3 on Friday. How long after that should I wait to get the 4 Corys?

I'd test your water for a few days, if no changes, whenever you feel like it :) Unless you're getting fish that are really sensitive to tank conditions or something. My tank is cycled, but I'm still waiting for some settling to occur before adding my loaches. They can be intolerant of new tank syndrome though I'm not quite sure if NTS = cycling tank or what.

I checked out the Neon Rainbow fish while I was at the store today and they only had 1 left which I assume was female (because it was rather drab looking). I'm starting to think about cutting it from the list.

So I'm open to suggestion for a cool looking fish that will go with:

3 Zebra Danios
1 Sunset Platy
8 Neon Tetras
4 Julii Corys

Last edited:
I feel as if you are not listening to what we are telling you, but you've now posted in two different areas about stocking your tank and not really listened to the advise you've been given.

A) You should not get more than one inch of fish/gallon. Go research the average size of all these fish you are putting in your tank, then do some easy calculations.

B) Consider the happiness of your fish and either plan to accommodate them, or return them. I.e. get more zebras or return the ones you've got.

I'm happy to share what knowledge I have, but I'm not going to keep talking to a brick wall. If you don't like our advise that's fine too, but then please stop seeking it.

I feel as if you are not listening to what we are telling you, but you've now posted in two different areas about stocking your tank and not really listened to the advise you've been given.

A) You should not get more than one inch of fish/gallon. Go research the average size of all these fish you are putting in your tank, then do some easy calculations.

B) Consider the happiness of your fish and either plan to accommodate them, or return them. I.e. get more zebras or return the ones you've got.

I'm happy to share what knowledge I have, but I'm not going to keep talking to a brick wall. If you don't like our advise that's fine too, but then please stop seeking it.

I don't know what you are referring to in this post. I've listened to everything said in both threads. I've been doing tons of research lately and the only thing people can seem to agree on in regards to stocking is that the 1 inch/gallon rule is junk. Even if we did take it as gospel, I'm only going over by maybe 2 inches, which from what I've learned, isn't a problem as long as I keep up with water changes.

I've also been posting on 4 or 5 other fish forums and guess what, conflicting information allover the place! I don't read what one person has to say and then treat it as law. I like to get as many opinions as possible and then see what the majority thinks. Don't take it personally if I don't do exactly what you tell me to, I've listened to what you and MANY other people have advised and then made a decision based on those opinions.

My Zebra Danios and my Platy are very active and zip allover the tank. They certainly aren't hiding in a corner fearing for their life, and I've read MANY accounts of people keeping these fish in similar numbers with no ill effects.

I've been doing tons of research lately and the only thing people can seem to agree on in regards to stocking is that the 1 inch/gallon rule is junk.

People who have filters that 'overfilter' their tank can sure, people who change their water meticulously, sure. I'm glad you feel so confident in your ability as a noobie and your dedication to the wellbeing of your fish that you will gain the ability to successfully crowd your tank. Personally, as a newbie who listens to the advise of the people on the forum who have a lot more experience than me and not to the LFS, I will stick to the 'rule' until I have a proven track record of doing what is above and beyond the call for the 'rule' then think about over crowding my tank.

[/quote] Even if we did take it as gospel, I'm only going over by maybe 2 inches, which from what I've learned, isn't a problem as long as I keep up with water changes. [/quote]

Below are average or slightly below max lengths of fish:

3 Zebras @ 2in = 6 inches
1 Platy @ 2in = 2 inches
8 Neons @ 1.25 in = 10 inches
4 Julii @ 8 in = 8 inches
--------------------------------
= 26 inches

and you are asking about adding more fish?

There's keeping, then there's thriving. People keep German Shepards and other large dog breeds in small apartments too. Is the dog going to live, yes. Is he going to be happy to see his people, yes. Is it the right thing to do by the dog....?

You are free to do what you want. I don't think there is anyone in the world that would take a complaint of 'fish abuse' seriously, but my original point stands. If you don't want to follow the advise you are getting here, please stop asking for more advise about a situation we've already advised you against.

You are free to do what you want. I don't think there is anyone in the world that would take a complaint of 'fish abuse' seriously, but my original point stands. If you don't want to follow the advise you are getting here, please stop asking for more advise about a situation we've already advised you against.

You skipped the most important part of my post. And for the record, you are the only person in this thread that thinks I am overstocking. I posted this topic on FIVE different forums, and you are the only person that thinks it's too much.

18 people think it's fine (some even suggested multiple additional fish), 1 thinks it's not (you), and you're getting mad that I'm not listening to you!?!?

Are you beginning to understand the problem that us "newbies" face?

I'd suggest sticking with what you have for a while. That way, you can see how your fish do. It also gives you more time to research that "centerpiece" fish you are looking for. If you notice that your fish are stress or that nitrates levels are building up too quickly, then that should be your sign that your fish tank is over stocked. If things go smoothly for a month or so, then you can look into adding that centerpiece fish.

1" of fish is the general rule per gallon of water. You can exceed that number, just keep an eye on your water parameters. If you aren't meticulous, then you do risk losing your fish. I think that is the main point of this thread.

Ultimately, you'll do whatever you see fit to do. Hopefully, you won't encounter the issues with disease that some people face when they overstock their tank.

Back
Top Bottom