Wrong Filter for a 5.5g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceAxe18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two days ago I got a fish tank set it up, and then yesterday I put the fish in, and then relized the current is pretty strong, so I took the filter back to the pet shop, and got a refund. I asked if they got some kind of filter that would be suitable for my 5.5g tank, and then they looked around, and couldn't find anything, so they said they have to order one, and in the mean time I had to buy a air stone, and pump to keep the water circulating, and have oxygen.

What I'm wondering is the fish going to be alright until next Friday, because thats when the filter would come into the pet shop.

Attachments

• IMG_20130502_134100_346.jpg
    IMG_20130502_134100_346.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 72
Small tanks are harder to keep the water right in i would check at your local Walmart for an internal filter they carry one that is powered by an air-stone for under 10 bucks. What kind of fish do you have and how many of them

do daily water changes until you can get another filter, also look into getting a small sponge filter, i think that would work best for your tank.

Small tanks are harder to keep the water right in i would check at your local Walmart for an internal filter they carry one that is powered by an air-stone for under 10 bucks. What kind of fish do you have and how many of them

Unforntionally my Wallmart doesn't really have anything except one little tiny shelf for fish stuff. There is only fish food, little bit of decorations, cartridge filters, and thats pretty much it.

Anyways here is what I've got in my fish tank:

6 Neon Tetras
2 Guppies
1 Bottom Fish
1 Snail

do daily water changes until you can get another filter, also look into getting a small sponge filter, i think that would work best for your tank.

I found one of those on ebay today, and they look pretty good. I would have to wait until next week to get a sponge filter if I order this week.

Changeing daily doesn't sound all that fun, but I'll change it every other day, so the fish won't get stressed out from me changeing the water.

i did not mean whole water changes, do you have a gravel vac and a bucket? just change half the water daily, and do you have any way to test your water?

with no filter, im sure your tank is not cycled and ammonia can build up very quickly in a small tank, even more so since you are overstocked. your fish will be much more stressed by the amount of ammonia that is going to build up daily

also its not about fun, you bought the tank and fish, now take responsibility for them and make sure they are living happily.

if you dont know about the nitrogen cycle or fish in cycling, then these articles will help you

http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Last edited:
Allright I'll do it everyday until I get the filter. I did finally order the filter on ebay, but won't get here until next week, and no I don't have a gravel vac, but I did know what you ment in changeing the water though. I also don't have a way of testing the water, but when I went to the fish store yesterday they tested the water, and they said it was perfect, but sense I had to return the filter I'm not sure what the water condition is going to be like while I'm waiting for the filter to come next week.

i would invest in at the very least some testing strips, but preferably the api freshwater master test kit you can get it for about $18 on amazon.

i would not trust what the pet store tells you, they are always going to say its perfect because they just want to sell you fish.

Hi IceAxe. I know you are in a bit of a fix fight now. You came to the right place for help. I don't want to admit all the mistakes I made with my first tank many years ago. They included not cycling and overstocking because I didn't know better.

Can you return any of your fish? That's a small tank and the fewer fish you have the better. Even when you have a cycled tank you have to be very careful not to put too many fish in it. It is better to have a few happy fish than a lot of sick ones.

Best wishes. Keep posting and keep reading!

Just to let ya know I've had 22 years of experience with a 10g fresh water tank, and then I went with out a fish tank for about 8 years, and now I just started back up with a 5.5g tank. Just that I haven't experience being without a filter like I am currently. Plus I may be upgrading to a 10g sometime in June anyways, and the current fish I have are pretty tiny at the moment.

Sorry I misunderstood your experience level. Of course, whatever our experience level new situations pop up. Again, best wishes.

I'd recommend continuing with 50% water changes at least once a day until you get your test kit. Also, what kind of "bottom fish" do you have? Maybe a pleco or a corydoras?

I do not want to sound rude, but your experience level should tell you you are way overstocked and have not cycled this tank. It isn't fair to the fish. I suggest 50% water changes daily, as if this is a quarantine tank, until you get another tank and get the filter situation taken care of. There has to be another store around with a filter available, not just wally world.

Hi IceAxe,

It appears that one of the problems you have is a lack of local fish supplies. Even though I have a selection of places to buy locally now, I didn't always. I still often order online. The prices are often better even when factoring in shipping, and you can get almost anything you want. For example, the API test kit is quite reasonable at Amazon, and when I got mine the expiration date was excellent from there. I bought my gravel vac online. Items often arrive in less than a week. If you're unable to order online for any reason, or you already know this information, apologies in advance.

Back
Top Bottom