Wrong type of ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verochloeedgar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I am starting to cycle my 20 gal tank and yesterday added some ammonia for the first time but then realise it had surfactants on it. I did a water change but should I rinse the filter with tap water as much as possible to eliminate any traces of the surfactant? I had also added some bacteria in a bottle of the Fluval brand.
Thank you

Hi! I am starting to cycle my 20 gal tank and yesterday added some ammonia for the first time but then realise it had surfactants on it. I did a water change but should I rinse the filter with tap water as much as possible to eliminate any traces of the surfactant? I had also added some bacteria in a bottle of the Fluval brand.
Thank you
To be safe I would, yes. Since you just started your cycle rinsing the filter and doing a 100% water change won't be a big deal. I've heard of people just doing lots and lots of 50% water changes after making this mistake and being okay, but it just seems like it would be safer and easier to just do a total clean out now, especially since you just started cycling.

Back
Top Bottom