Yet another cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bk.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there :wave:

This is my first post on AA! I'm sure it's kind of cliché that my post is about cycling so let me first apologize in advance!

Here is some general background info:

Tank: 55 gallon

Substrate: ECO-Complete with a small amount of Carb Sea "instant aquarium" sand.

Current conditioner: API stress coat+

My situation:

I've had my tank set up for a little over two weeks now. I just had it pushing water through the filter for the first week and didn't start dosing ammonia until the start of week 2. I've been dosing between 2 and 4 ppm since then, when required.

After about 4 or 5 days into the cycle the ammonia was just about completely wiped out. The nitrites came just after also. They're very high, probably around 4 ppm or even higher. The nitrates however are very low, around 5 ppm, less than 10 ppm from what I can tell. It's been ~ 0 ppm ammonia, ~ 4 ppm nitrites, ~ 5 ppm nitrates for almost a week now.

One thing I have noticed from the beginning is that my pH is very high. It's been around 8.4 every time I've tested. I'm assuming this is due in part to the substrate. From what I've read it seems that there are mixed opinions on whether or not high pH will slow or stall a cycle.

Would anyone happen to have a word of advice in this situation?

Sorry of the long winded thread but I appreciate any insight you might be able to provide. (Yes I've been reading non stop trying to gain as much insight as I can for the past month or so. I apologize if this has been discussed or answered before)

My water is very hard and the pH in my shelldweller tank is around 8.2 and it cycled just fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sometimes it takes awhile for the nitrite eating bacteria to form. You're basically only a week in to cycling. Give it some time. The 10 gal I set up took about 25 days to fully cycle.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your fine. Just wait a bit longer, like post above mentioned your only in 1st week of cycling.

That's for the replies! Would anyone happen to know if I should stop dosing ammonia temporarily so that the nitrite levels can drop some?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's for the replies! Would anyone happen to know if I should stop dosing ammonia temporarily so that the nitrite levels can drop some?
I am not sure if it really matters that much if you keep dosing but I don't really see a reason to. I would stop dosing ammonia for a few days and see if nitrites start to drop.

Back
Top Bottom