yet another lighting question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveydoodle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm moving a Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, and Green Terror (all about 2") from a 30 gallon to a 70 gallon tank. I've increased the number of hide spots, and rearranged the decorations. In the new tank, it comes with the standard (2) 18" bulbs. I want to put in the best possible light for viewing and wondered if their was an obvoius choice. I have painted the back of the aquarium speckled black, and have black gravel, so the brighter the light the better. No live plants.
I can only find 18" bulbs in 15 watts. So would maybe an Actinic, Power-Glo, Life-Glo, be the best choice? Higher the K rating, is that brighter? (relative to color of light - ex: blue, white, yellow?)
Thanks...

No the higher K rating does not make a brighter bulb for instance a Hagen Aqua-Glo bulb is around 18,000K (I believe) It absolutly will show some of the most beautiful colors but it is alot dimmer than a 6700k bulb in the same wattage.

So then is the Aqua-Glo your choice for the best bulb for these three fish in a black on black tank? Do you know what the difference is between Aqua-Glo, Life-Glo and Power-Glo? All three according to the same manufacter are "ideal" for freshwater aquariums. My LFS recommends the Power-Glo or Life-Glo, but can't say why.
Thanks..

K rating is the color of the bulb <higher K = more blue/UV end> ... not the brightness <that would be the lumens rating.>

For a black on black tank, I think a high K rating will look best ... perhaps 1 actinic & 1 10000+K light <if you have 2> .... but it all depends on your taste & how you want the tank to look. Some might find the almost neon like color of the fish under high K/actinics to be too artificial looking & opt for something a bit warmer. <And ignore the "ideal for aquarium" label ... that's all marketing ..... you fish don't really care.

I had to try something other than the standard bulbs that came with the hood. I bought two Life-Glo bulbs (more of a full spectrum bulb) at LFS, (960 Lumens & 6,700 K) and it produces a clean, white light, however it does not extend to the full depth of the tank. I made certain that I could return them to LFS if they ended up not being what I wanted. I may try two Power-Glo bulbs (18,000 K). Maybe Actinic bulbs! Thanks.

So then is the Aqua-Glo your choice for the best bulb for these three fish in a black on black tank? Do you know what the difference is between Aqua-Glo, Life-Glo and Power-Glo? All three according to the same manufacter are "ideal" for freshwater aquariums. My LFS recommends the Power-Glo or Life-Glo, but can't say why.
Thanks..
No I'm not recommending ANY bulb, Just using the AQUA-GLO Bulb as an example of the fact that higher K does not mean a brighter bulb.

I have not tried the Power-Glo or Life-Glo bulbs, and so I can not give any advice about them.

Bulb Rating - (Listing from Dimmest first to Brightest last)

Aqua-Glo 40w (Max Lumen's = 4600) (Rated Lumen's = 960)
Power-Glo 40w (Max Lumen's = 8900) (Rated Lumen's = 2200)
Flora-Glo 40w (Max Lumen's = 12100) (Rated Lumen's = 2180)
Sun-Glo 40w (Max Lumen's = 13100) (Rated Lumen's = 3100)

Source: http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm

Back
Top Bottom