Yolk for fry! How to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I feed platy fry yolk I got hard boiled egg then got golf now what?

You want to feed your platies egg yolk??????

IMO I don't know if that's safe, but alternative foods would be baby brine shrimp, artemia, or daphnia for baby fry.

Boiled egg yolk is sometimes used as a substitute for powdered fry food, I don't really suggest it because it can foul up the water pretty quickly. Boil the egg, separate the yolk and then mash it, add it to the tank with a toothpick so you don't overdo it.

jetajockey said:
Boiled egg yolk is sometimes used as a substitute for powdered fry food, I don't really suggest it because it can foul up the water pretty quickly. Boil the egg, separate the yolk and then mash it, add it to the tank with a toothpick so you don't overdo it.

Thanks didn't know it was substute was currently feeding crushed up flakes. After done with yolk no more will stick with powdered flakes most likely once I go to fish store will get other fry foods. Have cichlid pellets that have shrimp in it crush it up and feed? Jetajockey you sell shrimp?

jetajockey said:
Yeah I sell rcs, but not shipping anywhere cold because I don't have any heat packs.

For fry food my favorite microworms, simple to culture and harvest.

Oh ok what state? Can you buy micro worms at lfs? Or grow it?

I'm in florida. Microworms can be purchased for a few bucks online. I usually send out a large starter culture with fresh media on request for 5 dollars. There's some cheaper ones out there but its usually sent in a letter envelope so it takes a lot longer to get established.

jetajockey said:
I'm in florida. Microworms can be purchased for a few bucks online. I usually send out a large starter culture with fresh media on request for 5 dollars. There's some cheaper ones out there but its usually sent in a letter envelope so it takes a lot longer to get established.

Well I never had it and just wanna feed my fry. I'm in Georgia and would like some :D

Back
Top Bottom