Young beginner with lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Platys and swordtails like harder water. Corys and plecos do not.

Also, Zebra danios will fin-nip gouramis. Corys should be keep in shoals of 5-6+ and you will probably not want to add more than one gourami to your tank.

So what changes should I make to the list? Get rid of the gourami? I would be fine with that change.

Zebra Danios need cooler water than the others on your list

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any other stocking ideas? I realize mine is pretty flawed... Don't worry I haven't started cycling yet so I still have some time to think about it.

Any other stocking ideas? I realize mine is pretty flawed... Don't worry I haven't started cycling yet so I still have some time to think about it.

Have you entered the stock into AqAdvisor?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not exactly a stocking idea but just a bit of advice - make sure your heater is adjustable. I had a bunch of glofish that died from ich. Meds didnt work and they all died. I wasnt properly prepared.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

During water changes you just leave the fish in the tank. You are only replacing a fraction of the water each time so they will be fine. They will stay out of the way.
I think your fish list looks good but I would be careful with the gouramis because they can get aggressive. It will be different for every fish. The first one I had was great, he was nice to everyone but the one I have now will pick on any fish that is bigger than he is.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Went to my LFS today because I really want to get my equipment, and found a kit by marineland. It is 37 gallons, come with a penguin 200 bio wheel power filter, heater, hood, and daytime and nighttime lighting. Does anyone know if this kit is good? It was much cheaper than buying everything separate with the 29 gallon.

I have the penguin biowheel on a 36g bowfront; it works well but is a bit more noisy than I remember my old hang-on biowheels being. Otherwise, no complaints.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

+1 on the advice regarding a heater. When I first got into this hobby I bought good filters but didn't do much research into heaters. Just ended up frustrated and wasting money.

I've used biowheels in the past, no complaints. And hey, I think a larger tank is always a good thing, especially when you're starting out.

What are you currently thinking for stock at this point?

+1 on the advice regarding a heater. When I first got into this hobby I bought good filters but didn't do much research into heaters. Just ended up frustrated and wasting money.

I've used biowheels in the past, no complaints. And hey, I think a larger tank is always a good thing, especially when you're starting out.

What are you currently thinking for stock at this point?

Some bronze cory cats and livebearers maybe.

Do you have access to a good lfs (healthy looking fish, clean tanks, etc)? If so I'd suggest taking some time to wander and really look, take note of every type of fish that interests you. You could arrange them by top, middle, bottom dweller. Make some notation of fish that you particularly like. Then take all that information home and start your research. Size fully grown, compatibility, water requirements, etc.

Back
Top Bottom