Zebra Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADW76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help. Hopefully someone out there knows about Zebra Snails. I was in my LFS today buying two more cory cat's for my aquarium and ran into some beautiful Zebra Snails.. as much as I wanted to grab some right then and there, I resisted as I really know nothing about these creatures. I've done some research over the internet and I haven't had any luck finding answers to some questions I have. So, here they are:

What are the minimum tank requirements for these critters? I have a now established 29-gallon aquarium, but I also have both 2.5 & 3-gallon tanks with heaters and lights completely empty right now. I'm hoping that these snails would do ok in one of these tanks. I've discovered they eat algae, but will they eat suppliments (ie. algae waffers)? I think it might be hard to establish a constant algae supply in the small tanks without fish.

I've considered putting them in my 29-gallon but with a pleco (who's single handedly taken care of all the algae) and now 4 cory's in there - I'm not sure they will get along too well. Anyone know if they will be compatible?

I can also just forget about the snails, but I think they would be fun to keep so thought I'd ask the questions. :) Thanks so much for any advice you can offer me...

Are they zebra nerite or zebra apple (spixi) snails?

Uhh oh... I'm really not sure... they were quite large (maybe 1" round). The sign at the fish store just said "Zebra Snails".. I'll have to ask.

From your links, I'm sure they are... Zebra Nerite Snails.
Thanks for posting them.

rare to see them in a lfs. they wont breed in fw. they are one of the best algae eaters out there and like plecos can be fed zucchini.

Back
Top Bottom