2 LOSSES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duddi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just lost my 2nd fish in less than a week.
My tank is 3 months old and parameters have been steady since my cycle completed at
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
temp 78
ph 8.2
salinity 1.023-25

My first fish was a copperband butterfly that I had for a month before adding a juvenile blue tang 2 weeks ago. Both fish looked healthy, eating good, and no signs of stress when the tang died a week later (totally unexpected). Figured it was just one of those things.
I added two perculas 4 days ago and yesterday my butterfly died unexpectedly. No signs of disease, stress, anything.
Everything else in my tank is fine including crabs , shrimp, snails, starfish, and some small corals.
Should I be worried that my tank is contaminated and if so can you test for certain disease in your water?

A 3 month old tank isn't very mature for a blue tang, especially a young one, and/or a copperband. Neither are what I would call "hardy."

I was advised by my mostly-reputable LFS to avoid a blue tang until at least 6 months was past, and told even then, the juvenile blue's were just not very hardy.

Is your temperature staying stable at night? I assume in Charlotte the temp is pretty stable year round (compared to the midwest).

From everything i have read Copperband butterflies are difficult to keep, i have no experience with them myself however. Apparently its is a problem with them not eating.

I agree that both of these are not the best fish to start off with. I would IMO not add anything more till you see how the clowns are doing. Usually if you have a fish die that should send a red flag out saying to not add anything for a while while you observe your tank for a while. Hope all goes well

Agree with everything stated above. I have twice tried a copperband with no luck. Also, your My Info lists you have a 55g, which is probably small for both of these fish let alone both of them together.

If you really want a tang I would suggest a YT once you have verified all is OK and the tank is a bit more mature.

Are you QTing your fish?

No I am not q'ting the fish. I know I should, but my lfs holds them for me in a tank by themselves for two weeks before I take them home.
I also agree with everything that has been said, but it still stinks when you have done everything by the book, your water test good, and the fish still die. The juvenile blue seemed like the happiest fish ever and then came home one day and he was dead.
For those that have tried a copperband how long did yours last.
Mine was the first fish and lasted 6 weeks.

One other thing, I would make sure you see them eat and what they eat before bringing them home....

Unfortunately I could not get a copperband to last more than a couple of weeks. My tank was over 2 yrs and I had a PBT in with it the first time I tried.

Back
Top Bottom