2 Questions: Quarantine Tank and Fish Load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
1) I have a new tank and am wanting to set up a QT also for my new fish. Since there is not going to be a constant population of fish in the QT (fish only in it for a few weeks after purchasing them), can I use an external hang-on type filter with activated carbon and zeolite for filtration instead of a full on wet-dry with biological filters, etc.?? It seems pointless to have another full system with LR and all the other stuff for a QT that only has fish in it for a limited time. :roll: Also, how long should I leave fish in the QT?

2) After cycling the new tank with shrimp and assuming the bacteria population at that point is fairly high, what type of fish load should I introduce to the tank initally? I would think that I could put in a number of fish based on what the bacteria population should be. I would also assume that I would want to put in the less aggresive fish first to get them established before introducing the more aggressive ones.

Sorry for the long question!!

johnkristie,
for a QT you don't want to invest in anything except a heater, filtration, and possibly a light. You only want a tank to hold your fish and treat them as necessary. Theoretically you don't hold fish in there for extended periods of time (2+ months). IMHO, adding anything extra means you have to take care of it. I run a bare bottom tank with a heater, light and and HOB. My QT is a 15 gallon high that I had laying around. I use it for new fish. If I have to nurse a fish, I will pull the carbon from the HOB and treat it. You never know what chemicals you will need to treat the fish, so why complicate it with anything else. I also plan to clean out the tank everytime I have to chemically treat a fish in case I have to treat another fish. It is far easier to break down and clean a bare tank than one with extra things. Hope this helps.

All you really need in a QT tank is water, some places for your fish to hide (pieces of PVC pipe will work ), a heater, and some sort of filter. You could use a cheap sponge filter or you could even use a biowheel hang on the back filter. You won't want LR because most medications out there will kill anything that was living on that rock.

I would only put one or two fish in at a time. The size of your tank will determine the number and type of fish you can put in it. You are right on about adding the least aggressive fish first :wink:

So if I am not treating sick fish, just acclimating new ones, can I just use carbon and zeolite in my hang-on filter? What about with sick fish? Will the sponge filter be enough to support the biological in that case? Or do I just do more water changes? :vader:

johnkristie said:
So if I am not treating sick fish, just acclimating new ones, can I just use carbon and zeolite in my hang-on filter?
As long as no meds are being used the carbon is fine but in a salinated environment, you cannot use the zeolite. It will greatly affect the water chem and the salt will actually keep purging it which will release any potential elements it may collect in the first place.

What about with sick fish? Will the sponge filter be enough to support the biological in that case? Or do I just do more water changes?
The filer may or may not be enough to keep up but as long as you feed sparingly and are mindful to syphon out uneaten foods and detritus, it should be fine. Remember to only QT one fish at a time so as not to stress the biofilter and if necessary, water changes with well aerated water that has the same ph, salinity, temp and alk.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom