2 True Perculas, 1 dead, 1 critical but stable.(cured)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I got a maited pair of clowns about 5 days ago. I put them in QT when I got them. They would not eat and stayed close to eachother at the bottom. I went to Arizona for the weekend. My mom called me and said the male had died. I checked the water, everything was right where it should be. Now on to the good part. The female looks like her gills are swollen and her mouth is open and I can see her teeth. I went into the LFS he gave me some pills of Maracyn. I dosed 5 gal with just over a half tablet. I went to work for a few hours, came back and the fish already looked better than it had since I bought it. Her mouth closed up and the gills look like they aren't sticking out from her body as much. Anyone have any input as to what the hell could be going on? I didn't notice anything externally on the skin, only inflamed gills and an open heavy breathing mouth.

Also, today when I got home from class, I noticed about an inch long peice of white poop hanging from her bottom, which to my understanding is an indication of internal parasite. No one can help me out?

It can also be a strong indication of Brooklynella, especially if WC. I would suggest QTing and a round of SW formalin dips.

Please see here...

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/formalinbaths.html

Does the clowns belly look normal, bloated or sunken? Can you relay any symptoms/description of the fish that passed? Any excess mucus coming off the fish at all or red marks?

Cheers
Steve

I wish I could have personally seen the male when it was dead. My mom just said he was floating around the tank and could not swim very well. The fish doesn't look to bloated from what I can tell. Thanks for the help steve.

Well, the fish looked pretty good when I got her about 6 days ago, and she has not eaten since, so she is lookin a little thinner.

Oh and since that Maracyn thing I did yesterday her mouth isnt all open, she just has swollen gills.

I'm not sure if any of you have heard of HydroPlex before, but I dipped her in it for 10 minutes today about 2 hours ago, she is looking great. One more dip tomorrow and hopefully this mess will be gone and I can find her another mate.

caprylic/capric triglyceride,imidazolidinyl,urea,methylparben,octyl dodecanol, polysorbate-20,polyvinal pyrolidone,potassium phosphate,potassium sorbate,propylaparaben.

As soon as this ordeal is fully cleared up and my fish is eating regularly ill let you guys know my verdict on the product. But so far its been ~3 hours and my fish looks like day time compared to night since I dosed her.

The product was 24 bucks. Considering I paid 75 for the pair, it's a decent investment. I still have 85% of the product left for future needs. Directions also state you can use it before you plop your new arrivals in the tank. I called up 2 LFS and they said it's a good product and have had mirracle stories. Obviously this could be false, but everything is staying true so far. Ill post an update tomorrow after work. Thanks for everyones help.

OK, the brookynella is totally gone, however, the treatment was a little stressful for my fish and her fins are a little frayed. She should make a full recovery. Thanks for everyones help.

HydroPlex worked like a charm. So if anyone is having probs with brookynella, one 10 min dip should do the trick.(I did a double dose to make sure I got the brookynella all the way)

Back
Top Bottom