2-week Ich Treatment Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any 2-week or less ich treatments? Maybe some type of copper or formalin or both? I bought a new fish a little over a week ago, put him in QT and this morning he looks like light sugar was sprinkled on him. The reason I ask for 2-week or less is because I am going on vacation in 3-weeks, so hyposalinity is out of the question this time. I know my options (ie copper) may be more aggressive, but I dont think I have a choice. Thanks

I wasn't aware that would work in a SW tank.

I should have mentioned, I can't keep it in the qt while I am gone. I need to get it in the main within 3-weeks. My qt is not stable enough. So I'm thinling strong copper or formalin, but I don't know. I don't think the heat alone will do it.

Why do I think we've been down this road already?

You just got done letting your tank go fallow and treating all your fish with hypo for ich, and you're thinking about rushing a fish through QT and probably introducing ich back into your main tank?

I've never done copper, but I think that's the only thing that can work within your self-imposed time frame.

What type fish is this? Tangs are quite sensitive to copper if that`s what it is.

How about returning it to the lfs for credit when you get back?

You might try formalin in the QT for 2 weeks. Read Steven Pro's article, especailly his caveats about the treatment. This is a highly toxic substance and must be used with great care.

Raising the temperature is not a cure. It speeds the life cycle slightly, so raising the temperture in the absence of a treatment protocol means the fish die sooner.

Unless you can get your hands on Chloroquine, safest route, and hypo I would wait on treatment or return the animal. Formalin never seems to have much affect on Crypt and I am against the use of copper. During and after treatment you will still have to watch the animal, which will be impossible if you are not there. All in all, cutting corners by rushing qt never works out in the end.

Kurt- your right I just finished a hyposalinity treatment a couple weeks ago which so far has worked great. Since my QT is so small I had to return a lot of my fish during the hyposalinity. So I was anxious to get my 4th and final fish, which I purchased a little over a week ago. I know I should have waited, patience is HUGE in this hobby. But I don't see powder brown tangs around here very often and I had wanted one for a long time. I was hoping to put him in the QT for a few weeks and then everything would be fine and then put him in the main. Of course nothing works out that easy. At least I didnt put him right into the main tank. This is my first time doing a QT first, after my last experience.
Has anybody ever tried Cupramine? I guess it is suposedly safer and easier on fish than normal copper??

Back
Top Bottom