Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2005, 02:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

3 cardinal died in one day

I think one of my fish is beating the crap out of them, they seem to be stress and broken fins. I have 2 remaining cardinal left but it might be my true perc or one of the cardinal that is the culprit, i seen them chasing after one of my other poor cardinals. Are these guys that aggressive? How can three die in one day!

Old 06-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Clown fish are related to damsels, but I have never seen one GO AFTER another fish to an extreme... Anything else in the tank? What are your test parameters and how soon did they die after adding them?

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My experience with cardinals is, I've found them not to be very hearty. They are nocturnal and easily stressed. Were they eating well for you? Mine never did. Do you have substantial hiding areas for them? Do to being nocturnal, they needs lots of hiding areas. I've seen clowns bully other fish so I'm not totally shocked by that. Especially if clown is protecting a certain area. Good luck with your remaining cardinals.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

what size tank and did you add the cards all at once or were there some already in there. Rearrange some LR to make all the fish think its a new area and then all are on equal playing field.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have added the cardinal one week ago, they seem to be eating like crazy. My water parameters are good except for nitrate which is at .20ppm but that should be good.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a cardinal once and it died on me about a week after, some people say they are hardy but to me they seem so sensitive I don't think I'm buying another one...
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
ive never seem mine or any others clownfish be that aggressive....i suggest no more cardinals since ive only seen one place actually have one for more than a month with it surviving , if something doesnt attack it itll just die for no reason half the time
Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

They also are more comfortable in large schools, if you have room for it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had two Benghai cardinals... they were healthy, thriving, even growing pretty large. They prefer at least two (not a problem you had, of course), and a place in the tank with low water flow as they prefer to maintain a placid, motionless, float. My two were perfectly healthy... probably why the Niger Trigger found them so tasty!! All that was left were floating eyeballs... 8O
Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I once bought a pajama cardinal and my clown attacked it with so much vigor I scooped it out and took it right back to the LFS .

Sorry for your loss.

Tags
cardinal, die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com