3 fish dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PollyPanda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am a newbie at this and as I'm buying my fish in Hong Kong and can't understand the language am having a very hard time figuring things out.

I started off with two fish that look like a watonai
One fish had curved spine disease from overfeeding or from not changing the water often enough. After replacing it soon after it happened to another. After replacing that soon after another died. After replacing the tank with a veil tail fish? it attacked my half moon? (sorry not familiar with the names) and sliced part of its tail. This is when I noticed my watonai had a strange air bubble like blister on it's tail. I separated the veil tail and everything seemed fine but, in a few days I started noticing the Watonai was getting reddish around the gills and was floating at the bottom of the tank as all the other ones had done right before dying.
I know, awful but, I'm learning and I would do anything not to see another one die. Please help!

1. had it for 1/2 year and we caught it as a carnival

2. There are 5 watonai's, 1 cleaning fish?, 1 half moon together in the tank
3. seems as though it's still actively swimming up to the top when it thinks I'm going to feed it. Eating very tiny small ball fish food
4. I don't own a test kit and not sure where I can purchase one out here.
5. the white parts of the fish look more paler then usual, large water blister on tail for 4 days now, definitely floating at bottom more often then I'd seen in past, reddish at side fins, will actively swim for a bit but, then retreat to the bottom and rest a bit during the day.
6. no fish "flashing"
8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?
No medications and not quarantined
10. I have a filter system and have been changing the water daily 1/2 and using this aquarium salt and AA Chlorine Neutral that neutralises instantly removes chlorine from tap water.
I have gravel at the bottom of the tank, one ship decoration
size of tank unknown
11. no meds used not sure what to use.

Please help! I stopped feeding it for a day just to be sure I'm not overfeeding. I've been doing daily water changes with the neutraliser and aquarium salt for the past few days since it got injured or the bump. I'm trying not to be paranoid but, I've seen this happen too many times within the last few months. I'm not sure what I could do.

should I keep changing the tank water?
Should I buy one of those oxygen releasing things?
Should I feed it a pea?

Thanks so much in advance!

added photo

Here's a picture of the white bubble blister on tail

Oops sorry! I think I need to do some major research?It's more complex then I could even imagine!

update

Hi all,

So it's Freshwater and I have been adding a tiny teaspoonful of API Aquarium salt and a chlorine neutraliser when I do a 50% water change (I now know it should only be around 20-25%)
The fish that was attacked by the Siamese fighting fish was a blue guppy fish and the tail is a bit chewed up, the colour seems to have faded from it's head area and I see black streaks although maybe they were there before?

I quickly took the 4 new gold fish out of the tank and separated them into another water area as it appeared they were nipping at the Watonai. It looked stressed and has just been at the bottom of the tank for a few days but, will still swim rapidly at times if it thinks I am feeding it.

Since last night, one of the goldfish has died (frustrating) and although the watonai seems to be doing better it is still hovering at the bottom of the tank. The gills on one side are red

Is it rot fin from the Blue guppy, ammonia poisoning from overcrowding, or is it stress or all of the above.

Should I just keep changing the water daily and adding aquarium salt?
Is there anything else I can add into the water like some kind of strengthening vitamin?
I have a filter but, do they need more oxygen?
I've given them a pea just in case because I read its better.

Should I post this somewhere else?
Sorry…..so confused as there is just loads of information out there!

Thanks so much for reading this far!

Hi ere, sorry about your trouble! I can't offer much good advice on freshwater, but if you post under the freshwater section of the forum I'm sure you'll find more help. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom