3 snails have died in the past week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok good to know. So I need to get some water conditioner to help remove the chorine or a RO/DI system? Hopefully I can get the water where it need to be before its to late. Thanks you Mr X

I use prime for my water conditioner, little more money but you use a smaller dose so it all shakes out.

is there anyway you can swing an ro/di unit? You can get one for like $75 shipped. Using tap water is gonna be a constant headache from my experience. It took me months to get rid of the phosphates I was getting from my tap water.

Good luck!

I might be able to buy one. I have to money right now. It would be cool if the LFS had one but I've never seen one there. Would home depot or lowes carry them? How exactly do they work in terms of set up ? Do they have to be permanently set up somewhere because I would have to ask my mother first then.

Nah, never saw one at lowes or home depot. i got mine online from ebay. I got the hookup that allows me to use the garden hose and then store it away. I didn't want a permanent unit just yet as I didn't wanna cut into my water lines LOL

OK that sounds like the best bet for me too. That way when I move out next year I don't have to undo the setup. What is your system called?

There are new cartridges you can buy for each one as they require. The website gives an approximation of how long each should last. A tds meter is also a good thing to buy with it so you can see when youre filters need changing. :)

BTW: you don't use saltwater to top off either. You use regular water as you're just replacing the evaporated water and salt doesn't evaporate. Don't discount the fact that if you are topping off w/ saltwater your SG is probably bouncing all over the place as well. Inverts don't particularly care for that either.

But if you did a 40% change w/o conditioner.. Probably a good bet that the chlorine/chloramines whacked your inverts. Surprised the fish don't have signs (gill burn, swollen eyes, etc)..

Not good, not good at all...

If you don't have a test kit, do you have a refractometer? How are you testing your PWC SG?

I didn't do a water change with conditioner. I need to figure out the best way to replace my tank water (which is from the tap) with water that is safe for my creatures. I currently only have a hydrometer. I am going to go to my fish store today and take some water with me to get it test. If anything needs reduced I can figure out my best plan of action while there and I can also purchase a test kit.

Would the best way to bring my water quality up to par be to purchase the RO/DI unit and start using it for water changes. That seems like the best and most logical path to go down.

Thanks again for everyones help so far.

If you can get a ro/di unit then yes, that will help you out as you do pwc's. i started with tap water too. lol I did several large pwcs' and then large weekly ones and after a few months my phosphate issue resolved itself. i never had an algae problem due to my lawmower blenny and my sea hare. :)

BTW: you don't use saltwater to top off either. You use regular water as you're just replacing the evaporated water and salt doesn't evaporate.

I was just asking how Carey get her salinity up, and she said she uses saltwater top off instead of fresh to get the desired effect.

How do you raise the salinity in your tank?

Thank for the input.

I was just asking how Carey get her salinity up, and she said she uses saltwater top off instead of fresh to get the desired effect.

Thank for the input.

Yep, just to get salinity up slowly. Not as a regular top off. lol :-D

If you can get a ro/di unit then yes, that will help you out as you do pwc's. i started with tap water too. lol I did several large pwcs' and then large weekly ones and after a few months my phosphate issue resolved itself. i never had an algae problem due to my lawmower blenny and my sea hare. :)

Ok that is great! Im think im going to take the trip to my LFS today. I have never had algae but I just got my light up a few days ago.

Thanks

If your LFS has one thats too much money I'd suggest looking on ebay. Also, if you want the portable one I can link it to you if I haven't already. :) It hooks up to a garden hose or your sink faucet. The other ones that tap into your plumbing I'm not knowledgeable about sorry.

OK so today I went to my LFS and got a Copper test and a Nitrate test... They both seem to be at baseline I will post pictures after... My salinity is now much better at 1.24 ppt... They didn't have a kit so I go what I thought might be the problem and what I would need later on... I also got water conditioner and new filter pads... I will retest later, change my filter pads later, do a water change, add some conditioned water, and retest about an hour after I do all that.

What do you guys think now? Could my inverts have died from low salinity or possible the chlorine in the water? Could it be something else?

Thank for the input.

I would raise salinity with saltwater, but top off due to evaporation would not cause your salinity to lower it would result in a raise SG. If you need to raise your salinity during a topoff .. that just means that the SG was already too low before evaporation or you don't know how to read your hydrometer/refractometer

Back
Top Bottom