4 fish / inverts dead in 2 weeks?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYborn82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 26gal bowfront with excellent levels (8.2pH, 0-.25 nitrites, .25 ammonia, 60-80 nitrates). I've lost a purple doppleback, aarow crab, and 2 peppermint shrimp. the only thing that has changed is the pH. it has gone down to 8 and up to around 8.4, but that is the only thing (besides water changes) that's fluctuated at all. so far, my black tip cardinal, hermits (multiple), snails, 3-stripe clown, and both anemones seem to be doing fine...does anyone have any clues as to what the problem might be?????? i'm at a loss here. PLEASE HELP!

Sorry to say it man but those are nowhere near perfect levels. Ammonia Is highly toxic to fish and inverts. So are nitrites, but a little less than ammonia. Any readings are really bad. How long has this tank been set up? Maybe something died and caused a peak in your ammonia. Have you been pulling out everything that died?

everything has come out as i've found them...tank from day 1 has been set up for 7 months. I also have a blenny in there that's doing great...water changes are about once every 2 weeks (5 gal change). both live rock, sand and biologicals in the fluval 304. i do have some red and green hair algae growing but the hermits seem to be feeding on that pretty well

I would try to get the ammonia and nitrite to undetectable levels. It seems like the bacteria couldn't keep up leaving traces of ammonia and nitrite. Slowly killing your fish. Let the bacteria catch up. That's all I can come up with at the moment. How much live rock do you have?

there's about 20-25lbs of live rock. didnt' know if it had anything to do with the red hair algae appearing. but it has come and gone a couple times with adjusting light times. i currently have a timer for the lights and i'm trying to find the middle avg of about 9 hours a day

Well, the algae is appearing because there are excess nutrients in your water. Algae is never bad thing, it always helps, just unsighlty to most.

thanks for the advice Sergie! This is only my second go at a SW setup so anything that goes out of whack worries me

No problem! Just keep us posted and let us know if you need anymore help.

Back
Top Bottom