Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

4 turbo snails... died...

Hi,
Recently, my tank just started to have alge boom or diatom boom, i'm not sure what exactly they are, but they look sort like spiderweb, with brownish color. and i'm not sure if it was that reason or some other mysterious reason, my snails started to die, 4 has already fell victim..>_<
and my two false clown fish, they started to have couple black spot at on their body, closer to their fin thats close to their gill, i really wonder what are those? or its just that i worry to much? (they actually had those black spot for probably a week or 2 now)
i hope they'll be aiight~ @@
TIA
chia
ps. for some reason, blue leg hermit seems can't live in peace with red scarlet hermit. my 10 blue leg hermit crabs seem to be missing half of them, while my 5 red scarlet hermits are molting and growing~ @___@ or is it just that, the blue legs like to hide??

Old 11-11-2003, 11:04 PM   #2

can anyone give any idea?
any idea would be appreciated!!! ^^
thanks

Old 11-11-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
steve-s

Could you provide a little more info about the tank itself and the water parameters? By the sounds of it, your tank is reasonabley new (?) and may still have poisonous levels (NH3/NO2/NO3) that will affect the health of the snails. You may also have a few hermits wearing "new homes"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicGgW
(they actually had those black spot for probably a week or 2 now)
The "black spots" could be turbellarian worm. Has the problem become progressively worse of is it staying the same and do they seem to move?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-12-2003, 12:02 AM   #4

the water parameters are very nice,
NH3 and NO2 are both 0ppm,
theres about 5~8ppm for NO3.
SG is about 1.0285,
ph is 8.2

the black spot on the fish didnt really grow like crazy, but i think they sort of disappeared. or not as visible as before now @__@

i also included a photo of those brownish things @_@

tia
chia
Old 11-12-2003, 12:14 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
SG is about 1.0285,
That is a little high. Depending on temp you would be better in the 1.025-1.026 range. This may be the cause, I am not sure. How where they acclimated?

Quote:
the black spot on the fish didnt really grow like crazy, but i think they sort of disappeared. or not as visible as before now @__@
Keep an eye on it. Could simpley be an anomoly or possibley something else. If it returns, you should set up a >>quarantine<< and treat with >>hyposalinity<< "if" you are able to dermine it was actually turbellarians.

Quote:
i also included a photo of those brownish things @_@
I honestly can't tell. The black sand makes it a little "dull" in contrast. If I had to guess, I would say it's cyano...

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with Steve. The picture is a little hard to discern, but I would agree that it appears to be cyano. As far as your snails, turbos have a difficult time "righting" themselves if they fall on their backs. I thought other than acclimation problems or the high SG, this may have led to their demise. The hermits you can purchase empty shells for them, that way as they grow, they have a new home to move into. Otherwise, they may fight for the other's shell.

Hope this helps!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:40 PM   #7

thanks a lot! but they have been in the tank for 2 months now and they had been very active and healthy till the boom of "cyano", and they started to die in the past week i suspect that cyano boom have something to do with the water that i tap off daily... i get the distilled water from local grocery(meijer). i have also been considering obtaining a R/O unit as well as a protein skimmer to keep the water quality.
i'll also quickly but gradualy adjust the SG level back to 1.026

what are cyanos? appearantly, they aint really good to the tank.. or are they good?
i'm trying to look for some info about cyano on the net now too^^
Old 11-12-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Steve, what do you think about the possibility of it not being cyano and being dinoflagellets?
CubicGgW, does the brown seem to go away when lights are out and get worse throughout the day while the lights are on? Just a thought.

As far as using distilled water, it isn't as good as RO/DI. The distilling process can leave some unwanted materials in the water.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:49 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaH2O
Steve, what do you think about the possibility of it not being cyano and being dinoflagellets?
Could easily be dinoflagellates. They appear as red, golden, brown and green. When they reach sufficient number, the bloom can become toxic to crustaceans and gastropods.

Quote:
CubicGgW, does the brown seem to go away when lights are out and get worse throughout the day while the lights are on? Just a thought.
I would wait on this answer before concluding anything as yet.

Quote:
i get the distilled water from local grocery(meijer).
I would also suggest having this tested for copper. Distillation can sometimes be done with copper tubing.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2003, 04:27 PM   #10

i have done a little experiment with those brownish thing, they seem not to grow much when the lights are off.
i've already read a little about dinoflagellates, since they are photosynthesis, and the brownish thing arent growing too much at night, it could be the one... but if thats the source, how would i go about removing them??
thank you^^
chia

Tags
die, died, snail, snails, turbo, turbo snail, turbo snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com