5 hour ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I work 10 hour nights and am generaly pretty beat when I get home at 3am, bear that in mind.

Before I left for work yesterday I fed my fish (2 percs, 1 royal gramma, 1 coral beauty). Everyone is fine, eating well and active. I have 2 large feater dusters in there also. I upgraded my lighting this weekend to 210w PC, and because of the new plugs I can't use my old timers so I'm depending on my wife to turn the lights off at night. I get home after 3 am and see the lights still on. Since these things crank off a LOT of heat ( is that normal for PC?), I check the temp and see my tank is up to around 84. Usual temp is a rock solid 78.

I decide to give my little guys a bedtime snack for a little treat. In doing so I see what I think is a 3rd large featherduster. Closer inspection shows the 1 that is directly under the new lights tossed his crown. Apparently he's not a big fan of the new lighting and has decided to move elsewhere. Anyway, as I'm feeding the fish a few vitamin enriched brine, I see that all but 1 of my clowns now has a few (2-3) white bumps on their skin. Everyone appears fine, is colorful and as active as ever with the usual hearty appetite. Bumps definately were not there when I left for work. I inspect the fish daily while they feed.

I've never had ich in this tank before, but that's what I assume I've got. Coral beauty was the most recent addition, about 3 weeks ago. But I'd been watching him at lfs for about a month and haven't seen ich on any of their fish. Being that I'm beat and aren't set up to QT anything, I decide to do a FW dip today and get the QT tank up and running. But when I get up after about 5 hours sleep, all the fish are clean healthy and active.

besides observation, any thoughts?

Whoops, forgot to add.

55gal w/dsb
10gal fuge w/dsb and macro
pulled water samples to do my sunday night testing b4 feeding, am, 'trites at 0, 'trates at 20-30 (normal) ph at .2 -.3 and sg at .024.

I have had ich in FW in the past, but never seen it just dissapear. Possible mis-diagnosis? I am ordering a few simple corals for this system tomorrow, any reason to hold off?

I noticed when my fish had ich and/or velvet that it was most visible after lights out or in the early AM. Also being that is has a life cycle, it may have just moved to the trophont stage and fallen to the substrate. I would watch for a while and be ready to treat.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom