Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2004, 04:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

My friends shop is the same way... people buy RC cars from ebay and then want advice on setting them up from him. He usually charges those people but guys that buy from him get discounts on parts and service. He accepts when people buy things he doesn't offer from other vendors but obviously he doesn't like when people want his help on items that they bought used and or damaged from ebay.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats the thing, I'm not even sure she knew how I got my RO system online. The only time I mentioned to her about anything online was when I was getting conflicting advice. Ever since then she had it out for me on that. She had been trying to sell me rid-ick and I was told specifically why this would not work and my fish didn't have ick (which she was sure they did, without looking at them). I was there to buy formalin to treat my fish for brooklynella, which saved their little lifes after buying a fish from her that was sick. Quarryshark had helped me threw it and I have no problems since. That was a while back though and ever since then she assumes all my thinking and purchases come from online. I thought it was really big of her to assume such a thing, even though she was right

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my earlier post, I should have said alot more to the effect of supporting your lfs. I will support a store, that is fair. I do not mind paying a little more at a lfs for products, and get good advice, and someone I can actually talk too. My problem is that most lfs in my area jack prices up to ridiculous levels, trying to take advantage of your lack of knowledge. Been their done that.

If you have a lfs you are pleased with, then by all means support it. I would rather shop in my home town, and interact with someone, but for this area, it's not going to happen.

PS. I have found a store about 20 min from my house that has GREAT prices on corals. They are my new coral supplier!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats a good point though, I obvoiusly didn't buy the ro unit from her. Didn't really think of that. But there was no reason to talk to me the way she did, like I say, I have been going to her for years.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
My wife and I have a small business and going on the net helped to save us. Without the online business, I think we would have gone down a long time ago. With the online sales, we have grown more than I ever thought we would. Thats why I'm on this computer all the time.
Another school of thought, why not encourage them to get on the net and compete with these people? Beat the competition with service. With more volume comes lower wholesale prices.
Just another angle.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My best advice - support small business when you can and NEVER tell them about the great deal that you got from someone else with whom they cannot compete.
Why the heck not? I have had a LFSs try to sell me a filter for $70, I kindly said I would rather not spend that much and ask for a discount if possible. Then I get a reply of, "Well, that is how much they cost, you can not find it cheaper anywhere else". Then I replied with, "Well, that is how much you charge for them. I could buy it online for $23". LFSs need to be aware of what they are up against. Being ignorant does not help them. This trend is not going to turn around any time soon.

LFSs need to compete on SERVICE, not PRICE. A few places I have been to are trying to keep their business by trashing on online wholesalers to encourage me to shop in their store. Apparently, all stuff sold over the internet is low quality or knock offs. Ignoranty trashing on online retailers is one quick way to make an intelligent shopper never go to that LFS again, and they do not realize it. I spend a lot of money online for hardware, but I also spend quite a bit locally for livestock, food, substrate, bulbs... I only support the LFSs who provide me with good information and give me a reason to go back there.

I was in a LFS a few months ago have an argument with an idiot salesperson. They asked where I got my information and I told them this website. The salesperson was like, "See, that is your problem, those people would probably try to tell you to pour bleech in the tank to clean it" Then I basically told them they were stupid and I hope they get fired and have to flip burgers.

Anyway, there are very good ways for LFS to keep up. A new marine-only place opened close to where I work. They have a ton of fish in nice tanks, but not much tank hardware. They also stock a lot of test kits and tank cleaning tools along with food items. Those are all things that are impulse purchases and sometimes not convient to get online. The owner knows for a fact that she is not going to win any type of price war, so she keeps the stock low on those items like filters and heaters. Also, they will order you just about any livestock you can imagine and have it shipped directly to them for pick up. Most LFS will do this if you ask, but some are hesitant about it. Any kind of tank you want can be delivered in about a week as well. Oh, and they started carrying a selection of frozen and refridgerated foods. They are the only place in the state that sell DTs Plankton. Getting this online would usually cost me a $25 shipping fee, now I have another reason to go to the LFS instead...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 06:25 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Why the heck not?
Because they cannot afford to buy the volume the online vendor does to get the discount. The more you buy, the less it costs, a small store neither has the capital nor the space to store the volume that the huge chain stores do, also alot of the online vendors are buying straight from the manufacturer, because of the volume they are buying. FWIW, for the most part, my LFS is competitive in livestock price.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 06:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I go on my "Why I won't shop at WalMart" tangent?

But really, I'll pay a little more for good service and advice. But, generally speaking, I don't get either from LFS around here. They want to sell me stuff I don't need (like wet/dry filters and cheap junky skimmers), they tell me they have something in stock but don't when I drive all the way down there, their fish are often covered in ick, they give me bad advice (cycle with damsels) . . . and they don't charge a little more for something, but a lot more. I paid under $80 for my Mag 9.5 online . . . . one LFS had the same pump for--ready?--$229. What the . . . ?

There is one good store in my area, but it's a real mom-and-pop thing and there's just not much in there. I do shop for little stuff locally--nets and food and odds and ends. But I do online as much as possible, at least until I find a shop that really seems to a) want my business, b) give me decent advice, and c) charge reasonable (not the cheapest) prices.
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Because they cannot afford to buy the volume the online vendor does to get the discount.
You minsunderstood what I meant. I mean why NOT tell them you can get it cheaper elsewhere if they bring it up? LFSs need to accept the fact that they can not compete with wholesalers on some products and find other ways to make money. I have seen shops do it right and wrong. Trying to brainwash people into thinking that internet good are lower quality is the wrong way. Offering services and convenience that the internet can not offer are the right way.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 07:06 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I mean why NOT tell them you can get it cheaper elsewhere if they bring it up?
For me it's simple, I don't want to hear their story about their overhead and blah blah blah, I'm not insensitive to them, I just already know it and don't want to hear it again. I support them when I can. I will not buy online to save a few bucks, but if the savings is substantial...I buy it online.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com