Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2005, 04:53 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Most LFS's sell their fish before they have a chance to die. Somewhat of a negitive outlook but its true. Im not sure on what the average turnover time is for a fish in the LFS but I would venture a guess its less than the 3-4 weeks a suggested QT period is.

I have yet to find a published aquarists/author dispute the benifits of quarinteen.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I love that fish on your avaitar. what was it called? something...hawkfish. I saw one at the pet store when I got my angel. very cool fish. I may want to get one final fish for my system. Originally it was going to be a royal gramma, but I think I may want to go with something a bit more exotic.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=46493

Common Name - Arc Eye Hawkfish

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
if this happened alot you would think that many petshops would go under due to losing so much livestock!
The mark up on livestock in petshops is 200-400% due to the loss factor, when I worked at an LFS it was not uncommon to lose 25-30% of a shipment within the first few days and we went and picked them up, transported for no more than hour or two, I can only imagine how bad it is for people that have to have their livestock flown in.

Quote:
or would qt themselves?
It is becoming more and more common from my experience, but the simple fact of the matter is, an lfs depends on turnover, they get rid of the stock before they become symptomatic.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moral of the story- QT your new arrivals, and CB shrimp cause more problems than they are worth- have you seen those claws!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
It is becoming more and more common from my experience, but the simple fact of the matter is, an lfs depends on turnover, they get rid of the stock before they become symptomatic.
This and they take other measures such as keeping a level of copper in their fish systems.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Please visit the thread I just posted in the sick fish forum showing a pic of the Angel with White specs.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=369699#369699

thanks!

-Matt
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySmithers
1) All tanks contain most of the parasites and viruses anyway.
Complete and utter nonsense.

Quote:
The best bet is to keep the water quality and stress level low enough to keep the fishes own immune system healthy rather than try in vain to keep the bad critters out in the first place.
Backwards thinking. A healthy well maintained sytem is a must but it will have no affect on the presence of a parasite.

Quote:
2) Quarantining introduces a double stress. Take a transported fish and put it in a QT, let it get "used to it" and then dump it again into a different environment, starting again on the stress..
Again, backwards thinking. A properly set up and cycled QT would be no stress at all. In fact it is proven more times than not when QT'ing new arrivals the "alone time" actually reduces stress and allows the fishs' immune system to gain strength before it's introduced to the community.

Quote:
I guess my point is that there is no "right way" and no "wrong way" to do this hobby
In some regards your correct but not this one. There's hobbiest experiences and proven scientific fact. One is most definately on your side, the other is not

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
1) All tanks contain most of the parasites and viruses anyway.
Complete and utter nonsense.
I'll admit that my statement is based on very little science, how about yours?
Do you have proof of this statement?

(Don't want to argue for the sake of it, I'm genuinely interested in this topic).

Andy.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #20
steve-s

Quote:
I'll admit that my statement is based on very little science, how about yours?
Do you have proof of this statement?
I hope you enjoy reading

Cheers
Steve

Tags
quarantine, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com