Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
A good reason to Quarantine your new arrivals.

Hello all,

Well here is my story. I bought a Beautiful Coral Beauty Angel on Wednesday and brought him home. I was not exactly prepared for the new arrival so I did not have a quarantine tank setup and ready to go. So I drip aclimated him in the proper way for about 2 hours and then added him to the tank.

My Clowns were both scared and at the same time very curious. It was very cute watching them try and decide what to do about the new intruder. My purple firefish hid in her hole for about a 15 minutes till she decided it was alright and my Coral Banded Shrimp decided right away that he did not like this new intruder at all. The CBS started to kinda chase him around the tank. There was nothing I could do, so I just decided to wait it out and see if he would calm down.

I arrived home from work the next day to find my CBS still being extremely aggressive toward the new arrival. Also the Coral Beauty Angel had developed 3 white specks on its right side.

EEP! is Ick?, Velvet?, a fungus? an injury? All I knew was that I needed to get him out of there and fast. I went out and bought a 10 gallon tank, a powerhead and sponge sleeve, a small heater, and a piece of PVC pipe along with some medication.

The Coral Beauty is now much more relaxed. He can peacefully explore and learn about his new life as an aquarium inhabitant, He can learn what Formula 1 and 2 is and how its yummy and good and something he needs to eat. (fingers crossed.) and I am treating him the best I know how. (as soon as I get a pick of the spots I will post them in the sick fish forum. All I know is that I am sure its not ick.)

The good news is that I had an excuse to upgrade my display tanks powerhead from a maxi-jet 400 to a maxi-jet 1200. The 400 is now in the QT, and hopefully has enough beneficial bacteria on it to do some good. Also, The heater I got can be used with my old powerhead in the future to properly cure live Rock and age water.

So anyways, the moral of this story is do it right the first time. Save yourself and your fish alot of stress.

here is a good article on setting up a quarantine Tank: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=17

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Watch your other fish. If any of the ich got in the tank, the other fish will get sick too. You might get lucky though.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I am pretty sure its not ich. The spots are to large. Plus no more spots have developed in the 2 days I have had him. Usually Ich will come on strong real fast. I have seen ich. (oh boy have I seen it.) And I am very sure this is not it.

That being said, I am keeping a close eye on my fish.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Funny (or not so much) how once you've seen ich IRL there's no mistaking it... Glad to hear that you don't believe it is ich. That's just no fun to watch them suffer through.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Alright bro! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Kudos for a good move!!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

But then again... to "play" the other side of the argument (which will probably be raging as long as humans keep aquaria)....

I too introduced a Coral Beauty into my 90 a couple of months ago.
Inhabitants before her were - Yellow Tang, mated pair of clowns, lawnmower blenny, pair (yes a "pair") of Royal grammas and a single blue-green chromis. I never quarantine, never have for all the fish and coral aquisitions ever put into my 2 year old reef.
Within about 2 hours the CB was swimming happily (all the others "checked her out" and decided she wasn't a threat) and eating. Yes, shw was eating hungrily and happily in 2 hours after a 2 hour drip acclimation. Exactly the same happened when I introduced the blenny (6 months ago) and the Royal Grammas, (10 months ago).

The alternative argument which I subscribe to is:
1) All tanks contain most of the parasites and viruses anyway. The best bet is to keep the water quality and stress level low enough to keep the fishes own immune system healthy rather than try in vain to keep the bad critters out in the first place.
2) Quarantining introduces a double stress. Take a transported fish and put it in a QT, let it get "used to it" and then dump it again into a different environment, starting again on the stress..

That's my 2c worth, I've heard not Quarantining described as crossing the road without looking - you will get away with it many times but eventually... Sorry I just don't buy that, I think a better analogy is not having the flu shot each year...

I guess my point is that there is no "right way" and no "wrong way" to do this hobby, you find what works by gentle experimentation and build on that.

ANdy.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
The alternative argument which I subscribe to is:
1) All tanks contain most of the parasites and viruses anyway. The best bet is to keep the water quality and stress level low enough to keep the fishes own immune system healthy rather than try in vain to keep the bad critters out in the first place.
2) Quarantining introduces a double stress. Take a transported fish and put it in a QT, let it get "used to it" and then dump it again into a different environment, starting again on the stress..
That's my 2c worth, I've heard not Quarantining described as crossing the road without looking - you will get away with it many times but eventually... Sorry I just don't buy that, I think a better analogy is not having the flu shot each year...
I guess my point is that there is no "right way" and no "wrong way" to do this hobby, you find what works by gentle experimentation and build on that.
Could not disagree more. This is easy to say until one gets hit with an outbreak.
Why sacrafice the animals already in a system by not using such a simple step that will ensure that you don't have a problem? Sorry, there is a right way and there are quite a few that have come through here that were not as lucky.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i agree andy but imo the biggest issue is to buy good live stock! i dont qt and have not had ich at all! i have added fish that were scratching no spots visible:-/ but i do add startright into the bags as i drip any fish! but the itching stopped with good water and food mabe the startright who knows
also i feel that many are told to qt and dont have a clue as to how or what to be looking for ect.. and kill more fish than if they would have just added the fish to the main(which might die anyway due to they are clueless on fish keeping)

as for rocket goes my thoughts are this!
fish was caught at the lf=less slimecoat
fish was chased around by tank mates and by rocket to put into qt=less slimecoat
then will be caught again to be put into the main=less slimecoat

when does he get a break???

i had a cb that had the same issues! the patches were gone in 2 days
Old 03-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The first time you have to tear your fully established and well balanced reef tank apart in an effort to nab a new arrival that is suffering from a 'sleeper' disease or parasite will the the day you come around to us conservitive aquarists.

QTing is a way to closly watch an inhabitant that you at best had a chance to observe for an hour in the LFS for a period of a few weeks. Any sleeper diseases will most likly crop up in that time frame.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first time you have to tear your fully established and well balanced reef tank apart in an effort to nab a new arrival that is suffering from a 'sleeper' disease or parasite will the the day you come around to us conservative aquarists.

my thoughts on this

been 10 years lucky i guess

if this happened alot you would think that many petshops would go under due to losing so much livestock! or would qt themselves?

mabe im lost¿?¿ but never seen a tank crash first hand but my point was to pick good quality live stock for starters and two i dont think qt is right for everyone some cant keep a 55 gallon water parameters right let alone a 10 gallon :-/

Tags
quarantine, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com