Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPiE View Post
The fish are very lucky to have an owner like yourself! Very thorough post, and easy to read. Thanks for sharing. I watched the videos but had to stop them early - I don't like seeing them suffer.

Thank you!

A lot of fish deaths occur within a week or so of bringing the new guys home. This can be attributed to: Stress and Poisoning (if it was wild caught).

I'm told by a LFS that 60% of the wild caught die off before getting to the retailer and that nearly 60% of those die off... wow! So, a lesson is that if you are compelled to buy at the LFS, seems wiser to pick over what's been there awhile... they are survivors. Of course, my fear is that they'll 'catch something' at the store. I'm now very nervous about LFS (several in my area) and am more comfortable buying from a serious hobbyist and some on-line retailers that offer guarantees and also do their own quarantine
before resale.

The acclimation process is very important, not as much so with fish over inverts and corals, but still none the less important. When I first got my clowns, I acclimated the same way you mention above. I didnt have any issues. BUT in saying that, they may have been so stressed going from the wild, to a foreign populated tank at the LFS, and then into their final destination at home (if only we could tell them there won't be any more travel!)

An after thought: the fact that the male is healthy and active leads me to think they weren't poisoned?
Hard to know, but the the LFS store where I purchased believes it was a bacterial infection (which certainly could have been stress related). In hindsight, it is clear that at least the larger one was sick when I purchased him - based on the physical symptoms I at first believed was stress only (his panting). The LFS surely knew (he had a very trained eye) there was an issue when selling to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Im so sorry, especially that you had to see him suffer. Im proud of you, (as proud as a kid can be of an adult, of course! Lol) you did your very best to try and save your fish. If im not mistaken however, the little one is still alive?
The worst of the event was not recorded. The feeling of helplessness is always a difficult thing as a caretaker.

Also in hindsight, were it to happen again I would immediately removed him to a hospital tank (I had all the parts, e.g., 10g tank, heater, etc. on hand but not enough prepared ro/di nor pre-mixed asw. That said, I still had no clue what to do for him but getting him out of the DT was definitely the first thing I should have done. Not beating myself up. Just saying that would have been a better thing to do sooner.

Really appreciate the sentiment and support. A great reason to be a part of this community!

P.S.: So, here's the little guy (she calls him Little Nemo)...fingers crossed for him.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111116-00339 AA.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	61610

Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
If you are planning on having a paired set of clownfish, it's best to get another one now, before this guy turns female (they all start male, and the dominant one turns female. Once female, they can't turn back).

Just make sure there is a noticable size difference!

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
If you are planning on having a paired set of clownfish, it's best to get another one now, before this guy turns female (they all start male, and the dominant one turns female. Once female, they can't turn back).

This helps.... wasn't sure. As luck would have it, leaving here soon to look at a black & white (imagine color is not an issue?) and some other stuff from a reefer breaking down his tank....plan on bringing him home tonight...and the balance on Sunday if I like what he's got.

Your time is right on!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS

This helps.... wasn't sure. As luck would have it, leaving here soon to look at a black & white (imagine color is not an issue?) and some other stuff from a reefer breaking down his tank....plan on bringing him home tonight...and the balance on Sunday if I like what he's got.

Your time is right on!
Color does matter as I had learned. My b&w was smaller then my misbar and the misbar killed it.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davePM View Post
Have a look at your acclimation process. Look on YouTube for drip acclimation, you should acclimate over a period of several hours at least.

Employed a drip acclimation method with the adoptees added last night.

They are: black & white clown almost identical in size to the Little Nemo survivor and one lone cardinal. The balance of this package to be adopted and acclimated sometime between now and Sunday...will include: yellow watchman goby with paired shrimp, giant feather duster, and royal gramma. And, some cleanup crew.

Photos and video to come... but, so far the 2 clowns seem okay together albeit there is some posturing...will see what they look like in daylight.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS

Employed a drip acclimation method with the adoptees added last night.

They are: black & white clown almost identical in size to the Little Nemo survivor and one lone cardinal. The balance of this package to be adopted and acclimated sometime between now and Sunday...will include: yellow watchman goby with paired shrimp, giant feather duster, and royal gramma. And, some cleanup crew.

Photos and video to come... but, so far the 2 clowns seem okay together albeit there is some posturing...will see what they look like in daylight.

Im so happy for you!!!! What type of cardinal btw? And are these fish ftom the lfs?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

Well, I knnow I went against the rule on this one. Felt compelled to get the 'package' mentioned from a reefer breaking down his tank because his fish were known to be healthy and well cared. The clown comes with the group. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Im so happy for you!!!! What type of cardinal btw? And are these fish ftom the lfs?
Cardinal is a pj (pajama). Would like to seem him in a school, but have been hearing horror stories of people who bought in sets of 3 and 4 and in each instance there was only one remaining 'killer' cardinal.

So, far.... my guy is hanging with whomever....as though he wants to school.

I wonder....
Old 11-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I drip acclimate everything I put in my tank for about 3 hours, might be overkill but I've had no problems. I feel its better than the float process. Nothing wrong with floating, I just prefer to drip. Though I do have to agree with an earlier post that your initial acclimation was too quick and didn't introduce enough of your tanks water. If it was sick or stressed the salinity, ph, or nitrate shock could have sent him over the edge.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
I drip acclimate everything I put in my tank for about 3 hours, might be overkill but I've had no problems. I feel its better than the float process. Nothing wrong with floating, I just prefer to drip. Though I do have to agree with an earlier post that your initial acclimation was too quick and didn't introduce enough of your tanks water. If it was sick or stressed the salinity, ph, or nitrate shock could have sent him over the edge.

Regarding the float method I employed, naturally it was recommended by that same lfs where I purchased the sick clown.

All the newer additions have been drip acclimated for a minimum of 90 minutes but target 2+ hours which has been working out quite well.

Regarding inverts, I'm getting mixed feedback as to what's required for those guys so I'm playing it safe with drip for now.

Tags
die, died, first fish, ick, sick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com