Abnormal spikes in nitrates and nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanewilson2224

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have the Fluval Flora 8gal planted aquarium with the Fluval light and the Aquatop LED light as well running CO2 with the Fluval CO2 kit with the exception of having replaced the diffuser with a glass diffuser pad. Also have the filter that came with the tank (hopping to upgrade to the Fluval 106 canister ASAP). Temp is usually around 70-72 and I currently have 5 tetras, one baby Angel fish, snails, dwarf hair grass, dwarf baby tears, flame moss, and a few other plants here and there. this tank was started about 2 months ago.

Yesterday, I made a trip out to the Fish Gallery to try to work on my cleaning crew because I've been having trouble with my algae (black beard, and green hair algae). I bought 5 Amano shrimp to be added to my tank. when I got home, i knew i should do a water change since some of my fertilizers i use have small traces of copper (i hadn't used those ferts in a few weeks, but i wanted to be sure) I have always used DI and RO water for my water changes so i can add what i want to the water doing about a 20-30% water change weekly. I let the shrimp acclimate for a good 45 min- an hour after the water change. I set them free and immediately tested my water with the API freshwater master test kit (just bought new so it cant be skewed results from old test liquid) and my Nitrates were off the scale (over 100ppm). i had NEVER seen my water spike that bad, and my friend, who was with me at the time, suggested that i do another large water change; he suggested at least an 80% change. Keep in mind, this is my first tank and i'm new at this, he has had many tanks and considers himself an "expert"... I expressed my thoughts of doing that drastic of a water change would be bad, he re-assured me that it would be okay. we did the change, and not 2 hours later ALL the Amano shrimp i bought that day died. tested my water, the nitrates had fallen and all my other parameters were good... now waking up this morning, 3 of my neon tetras have died, and my nitrites and nitrates have once again spiked; nitrites at about 5ppm and the nitrates at about 40-80ppm. my Ammonia is at zero and my PH is at a 6.6. What is going on here?? what can i do to fix the spike? I don't want to do any more water changes since my friend suggested i replace 80% yesterday.. all my tetras are currently slowly dying..

Your tank is overstocked bad for an 8 gallon. Most tetras need a 15. Angels at least a 20g. Problem solved.

Caleb

I have talked to many people about this. i do not believe my tank is over stocked. I have been to the fish gallery many times and talked to many people about my tank during the process of it being set up. it WOULD be over stocked if it was not planted. my tank is heavily planted allowing it to have more fish. I put lots of research into this, because at one time it WAS over stocked. i had too many tetras and about a dozen ghost shrimp. lost a few of the tetra, then i gave about half of them away. the Angel right now is only just about 2", and i know it will eventually out grow the tank. This tank has been holding steady with the stock it had for over a month always showed good water test results. it wasn't until yesterday; i was even talking to the manager of the store about my tank and the set up, and i specifically asked him if adding the shrimp would over stock it. However, I did just plant some more plants yesterday. could stirring up the substrate cause the spike?

I may be mistaken, but ro/di water in a freshwater situation contains no trace elements that may be beneficial. Your water could have still contained amounts of copper, killing the shrimp. Most neon tetras aren't the most hardy of fish to begin with due to over breeding creating weak genetics. Angels growth is going to be stunted quickly. Live plants doesn't mean you can cram more fish into a system, although they can help eat up some nitrates.

Are you shaking the tests enough?

Test the water your adding, does it contain nitrates already?

Stirring the substrate could potentially cause a spike I think, especially if its nasty down in there (detrius and decomposing food/waste)

Best bet is keep testing and more water changes

thank you for the responses. I did end up testing the water i added in, and there were no nitrates or nitrites. The substrate was pretty dirty. like i said, ive been having problems with algae growth and i think that's partly due to my lighting and low filtration. I stirred up the substrate to get all the algae off yesterday, and i also dusted all the algae off my plants. I'm using the test solutions as directed making sure they are shaken up enough. As for using DI/RO water, I'm aware its missing trace elements, and i add supplemental ferts (Seachem: phosphorous, potassium, Nitrogen, Iron, and Excel) I'm currently looking for a new home for my angel, and i might just let the tank go a few months without any fish to just let it cycle. any help on the algae problem too would be greatly appreciated. i dont want to use chemicals.

I was about to give a size comparison between your tank and the angel. Thank you for trying to rehome it.

Caleb

Your tank is not cycled and removing fish for a couple months will not cycle it either.
You need to due waterchanges to keep nitrItes under 1ppm.
That is certainly the cause of death IMO.
NitrIte is worse then ammonia for fish !

Your tank is not cycled and removing fish for a couple months will not cycle it either.
You need to due waterchanges to keep nitrItes under 1ppm.
That is certainly the cause of death IMO.
NitrIte is worse then ammonia for fish !

This. And it may not be an issue of it not exactly being cycled, but the bioload is too high therefore the beneficial bacteria available cannot convert quickly enough

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom