About to order a PS for my 30 gal QT need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have set up a 30 gal QT with a 150 watt heater, penguin 200B HOT filter, and a maxijet 600. I want to keep water quality good in the tank so I have decided to pick up a skimmer for my 30 gallon QT tank that I will be shutting off if I medicate with cupramine or any other meds. I'm not looking to break the bank since I bought a remora pro from Captivereefs a month ago for my 75 gal. I was thinking about getting the cpr bakpak from captivereefs with the maxijet 1200. I'm not completely opposed to spending the extra $35 to upgrade to the aquac remora, but I'm wondering if it is necessary to spend the extra cash for a skimmer for a QT. I'm planning on using the QT as a FO tank when I'm done stocking the main so I figure I should just get a skimmer now. I've been hearing some bad things about the bio-bale, but Darin does not list if the bakpak2r comes with the maxijet pump as well since I don't want a Rio pump. So which skimmer do you recommend....cpr bakpak w/ mj1200, bakpak2r, or remora?

qt is for new arrivals and medicating sick fish later on. What will you do with sick fish if you use your qt for a regular tank?

Well I'm not entirely sure about using it as a FO tank later on. Even if I was, I would only add a pair of clowns and possibly some type of goby. Irreguardless, I want the skimmer to keep water quality high during month long QTs of new arrivals. I just need a little help deciding between the bakpak with the bio-bale and mj1200 or the bakpak2r.

I decided to scrap the PS idea. I just got another penguin 200B for $20 for the left side of the tank and will use my 30 gal solely as a QT setup. I don't really think a PS is necessary since 5 gal weekly water changes should be sufficient to keep up water perameters.

Back
Top Bottom