Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

About to start hyposalinity treatment

Hello everyone, I'm about to start hyposalinity for my fishes and I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice to tips on how to go about with the treatment smoothly. I will have a small maroon clownfish, medium dwarf flame angel, and small yellow tang in the HT for treatment. It is a 20g tank with a heater, couple PVC in the tank, and an emperor 280 filter. I do have a refractometer to check salinity and a SW test kit to check parameters.

Is there anything else I need or something to keep an eye out for? The fishes will be in the HT for 7 weeks to kill off all of the ich in my DT

Old 09-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is the quarantine tank already cycled? If not, you might want to get some AmQuel-you're gonna need it

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The tank is cycled, I checked parameters a week ago and it was fine and also last night before I added the fish.

I've read that during hyposalinity, my beneficial bacteria will die off and that I'll have to keep up with water changes to keep ammonia down, does the bacteria eventually stay alive? Also, is there any advice on how to prepare the low salinity water for pwc? Do I add the sw in and then lower it back to 1.009 or should the new sw already be at 1.009. I buy my water instead of mixing it so just curious
Old 09-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Start out with the normal salinity and then lower it down over 24-48 hours

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, start, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com