Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes the powerhead is dricted at the top sorry for sounding like an idiot

Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

No problem. It can be frustrating. Do not always believe the fish store. Sometimes they know what they are talking about and sometimes they don't. Same with the forum, except we don't get paid, so all we want to do is share information.

Box fish are a advance aquarist fish that can kill other fish as it dies. I made the same mistake. He was so cute in the store, but I didn't have a clue. Nano's are very delicate. You need to be very very conservative as to what you try to keep in it. Especially at first. Get the box fish back to the LFS. Get some gobies, or blennies, maybe a shrimp or two.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all your help guys really got frustrated yesterday with the things going wrong I suppose it's a learning curve on and upwards as they say
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you move forward, I would suggest asking questions here and see what advice you get. Odds are if you ask first, you won't be steered in the wrong direction. That box fish is a great example. If you had asked about getting one for a nano tank, you would have had people pointing out that its considered an "expert only" fish and that they need 120g tanks. Sorry about the loss, but don't give up. This is fun stuff when it's working right.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
If you move forward, I would suggest asking questions here and see what advice you get. Odds are if you ask first, you won't be steered in the wrong direction. That box fish is a great example. If you had asked about getting one for a nano tank, you would have had people pointing out that its considered an "expert only" fish and that they need 120g tanks. Sorry about the loss, but don't give up. This is fun stuff when it's working right.
+1 on that. It is addictive. When people come to my home, their jaw drops. I could have a multi-million dollar Picasso on the wall and not get the same reaction. It is beyond living art. It is interactive and teaches you something every day.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Ody
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks again guys for the help and support
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am so glad I ran across this thread! I saw this fish at the lfs and was so close to getting it for my nano! They said it was perfect for a nano. I myself will be posting all my fish ideas before getting something. Hope your tank gets stable again!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I guess in some cases a box fish could be kept for a while in a nano, but in my opinion you should be pretty advanced in your techniques to keep him alive long term.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1. It probably would be possible, but any fish that is supposed to end up in a larger tank and is considered "expert level" would scare me. Add the fact that it releases toxins when stressed and there's no way I'd risk it. They are great looking fish though.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'm late to this thread, but did you cycle the tank? I have a feeling a lfs that tells you your levels are fine and that boxfish are ok in nanos wouldn't know to tell you about proper cycling of a tank.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com