Acan Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aadair22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This will be the 4th acan that I have tried and lost over the past 5ish years and 3 tanks (2 different 20g and a 55g).. I just dont seem to have good luck with them and I dont know why... Please help!

Current tank is a 20g mixed reef as follows:

(1) Small true perc clown
(1) small royal gramma
(2) small chromis

yes, it is stocked a bit heavy but as they grow, they will be swapped out at my LFS.

corals:

Trumpet
GSP
Duncan
Zoas
Leptoseris (which I accidentally bleached the hell out of, but is making a slow recovery)
Trachyphyllia
and last but not least, my latest acan..

Parameters:
Temp - 78
Ph 7.8 -8.0
Salinity - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - under 20
Cal - 400

Lights are the Tao Tronic LEDs and filters is currently being done by a crappy HOB filter until I can pick up a HOB skimmer.

Basically, I picked up a nice size acan frag with 2 full heads and 1 small one starting to bud on the side.. Brought it home, acclimated for over an hour and a half and dropped it on to the bottom of my tank. It looked awesome for the first 3 days and then I came home on the 4th day to find on head closed up and has progressively gotten worse, I am on day 6 with it now. It was in medium flow so I moved it to a slower flow and seemed to get worse, today I moved it up a little bit and into slightly higher flow than where it originally started.

What am I doing wrong? First pic is my acan today, second pic is one from google, but what it looked like the first 3 days in my tank.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• acanfuckthisshithrea.jpg
    acanfuckthisshithrea.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 79
  • healthy acan.jpg
    healthy acan.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 94
Salinity is 1.025 as I stated in the original post.. I posted all the parameters that I know.. I will be taking a water sample to my LFS saturday for a full test.

Everything else in the tank is doing amazing and showing great growth.. This is the second acan I have tried in the last two months and I don't wont to lose it. Also, the tank is about a year and a half old.

Back
Top Bottom