Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

acceptable level of ammonia

what is an acceptable level of ammonia in a qt tank?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zero. ammonia is deadly toxic to fish and inverts. Especially in a Q-tank, where you've got sick fish, ammonia should be 0ppm.

If I had to pick a higher number to say "as long as it doesn't go over this amount, the fish should be relatively safe", I'd probably go with 0.5ppm.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If I had to pick a higher number to say "as long as it doesn't go over this amount, the fish should be relatively safe", I'd probably go with 0.5ppm.
yeah that is what i was looking for.
current level is 0.25ppm, i do not wish to do unnecessary water changes to keep it low.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
Depends on the PH, if PH is below 8.0 then the ammonia will be nontoxic up to 1.5, but if its over 8.0 then it is very toxic. With a lower PH the ammonia is ionized and therefore less toxic.

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Depends on the PH, if PH is below 8.0 then the ammonia will be nontoxic up to 1.5, but if its over 8.0 then it is very toxic.
dude that is enlightening!!! where did you pick up that info?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 07-01-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Depends on the PH, if PH is below 8.0 then the ammonia will be nontoxic
ok, knowing this what is the range of acceptable ph?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 07-01-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

wait this info is blowing my mind. by doing a water change to lower ammonia, one could actually do more harm if the water change raises the ph (which more than likely it will). unless you do a 100% change. 8O

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 07-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
For marine life, 8.3. LOL. But during Hypo, the PH tends to drop and this is usually okay for fishs.

Lemme grab the ammonia info and quote it, "The presence of ammonia in aquariums can be a source of many problems. Generally, the amount of ammonia should not exceed 1.2 mg/L. Levels up to 1.2 mg/L in very alkaline water (above 8.0 pH) are quite toxic to aquatic organisms."

Ammonia can be present in two forms. Ammonia NH3, which is a toxic gas, and ionic ammonium NH4+, which is much less deadly. The pH of the water is the major factor that determines the ratio of NH3 and NH4+. When the pH is high, the ammonia is in its toxic form. Toxic ammonia will increase exponentially with increasing pH levels and temperature. A pH value of over 8.0 causes a corresponding rapid increae in the toxic ammonia component." - Hagen Ammonia Test.

Woops, its 1.2 mg/L.

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i should read the instructions that came with my test kit

thanks luntiz

Peppermint Shrimp:

Tags
ammonia, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com