Added LR...woke up...and ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so no hypo in the main. Whats the chances of ick returning after the 8 weeks.

I`ve heard from many people that had success with the 8 weeks. I dont have any doccumentation but I know others do. When I first got my tank about 9 years ago I had ick that wiped all my fish out. I waited eight weeks and have not had ick since. I`ve since got a UV light the last eight years and hope that was the trick but I know I`m opening the great can of controversy. But never seen it since. Good Luck

setup your qt to a low SG to shock the ich prob around 1.019 or as low as 1.017 worked for me and my tomato clown when he got ich and he was covered. no substrate only a PH a heater and a piece of LR for filtration. i also to speed up the process haha what luck. i did a freshwater dip to shock the ich parasite on the fish., although very stressfull with no Salt in water i dipped and dipped for about 5 minutes after 4 weeks in a qt i took him out and now he has been living in his LTA for about 2 months with no ich ! and all is good! patience is key

i used Ridich once a day with a 10 percent WC on the qt daily.

I don't think you want anything in your QT, other than PVCs for hiding, not even LR. Hypo and any other treatments will kill off the LR and possibly react w/other treatment chemicals, at a later date. I would be careful of the FW dip, if the infestation is too far along, it could kill the fish...

1.019 or .017 is not low enough. I know people that keep their tank at 1.019 all the time. It needs to be around 1.009 as CMD said. And I have seen ten times more fish die from a fresh water dip then those that lived. So you can see that I am not a fresh water dip fan.

when it came to a 10$ fish that caused the ick infestation i really didnt care much about the fish at that point but he survived and is doing great. hope your ick goes away mate !

well i started hypo this morning SG is at 1.020 right now, can i lower it a point or two every 12 hours?

Well for the past few days my clowns have been next to eachother at the bottomof the tank doing nothing, now they are swimming all around the top half, is this a good sign?

are you sure it is even ich? It is odd to have ich show up and then be gone the next day.. Any chance it was just some sand stuck to the fishes slime coat? My PT get sand stuck on him all the time.

Its not sand, they were very small like the size of a salt grain.

Well Im starting to think my main tank never had ich. I have been weary about the LFS I had been going to and I think I got 2 sick clowns. All the other fish are thriving in the QT eating and very active. While the clowns ( one has now passed away ) are unactive at the bottom of the tank, not eating.

Ive been doing hypo in the QT and everything has looks great, but I still havent seen ich show up on the clown again, he is just out of it, it looks like to me...

Any suggestions? Should I keep up with the treatment and leave my main fishless?

The only way you will get rid of the ick in your main is to break the cycle. 8 weeks fishless will do it.

Back
Top Bottom