Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2004, 04:13 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Respectfully Kmeyers18, that may have worked fine for you, but did you notice we're only talking about a 2.5g tank here?

I think we're all suggesting to err on the side of caution, not go overboard with it. Also, a lot of us are into saving fish. Glad yours worked for you with 15 damsels in a 125g to cyle. Adding fish one day is what we all do. Just trying to suggest a more responsible way of picking the right day and the right # of fish.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
QT should be bare bottom, I would get the rock out of there (if it already isn't) and use a sponge filter instead.
Also a 2.5 may be hard to manage as a qt tank. If possible, you may want to get that 10 gallon.
I agree. A QT shouldn't have any live rock or sand in it. QT is used too monitor and treatment of sick fish. Once you add medication to the QT you will kill the life on the rock and the sand. And you will not be able to use that same rock again in the main/dispaly tank because medicine is absorbed by the rock and can leach back out causing a tank crash.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well i agree on saving fish, but in all reality if your that concerned about saving fish than leave them in the ocean! We do this hobby for our enjoyment not the fishes enjoyment! How would you like to be stuck in a tank? That cant be that enjoyable! Now i agree with the caution to some degree. But no point in stressing someone out making them think there tank is going to spike like crazy! When you add fish your parameters will jump to some degree but then the bio. filteration will increase to take up for that! No need to do water changes,especially when adding a fish that hardy!!! We need to give advice not stress
Old 11-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Uncle.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry for the agressive post Austinsdad! This site just kills me sometimes with the overboardness (if thats a word) People on here act so consurned about the fish and reefs! It just makes you wonder why they have them in there house! Just contributing to the decline of reefs and fish! Me, i use caution to keep my money in my wallet! I care about the fish because i dont want to have to buy another one!!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update on first fish...

I got the little goby home last night, acclimatized him and went to bed. Crossed my fingers that all would be OK this morning, and it is. I haven't tested the water yet but goby looks happy. I think I saw him biting at the pods, which is a good sign. I also got a couple of hermits to clean up.

I'll leave them alone for a while, and then test water parameters and hope they haven't gone through the roof.

Carolyn
Old 11-18-2004, 10:48 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
IMO do not rely on the cycle to carry you through the qt period, especially if the need arised to treat with any kind of meds. Water changes are you best weapon.
IME this will be the case. You act like you know what your talking about Qshark....hmm.....

Just keep some water ready, you WILL need to do a water change in your qt, especially a 2.5g.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will need to loose the substrate and rock if you need to treat the goby. The whole idea of a qt is to watch the fish and see if it has any health problems. If it does, you will need to treat, and you cant do that with substrate.

Congrats on your new little buddy!

PICS?????
Old 11-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

No substrate and just a tiny piece of rock (less than a lb). I do have macro (caulpera) to help with nitrates, which also brought with it the pods. I'll try to get a pic of this guy. I bought a camera last week just to take pictures of the tanks (another $150.00 on this hobby!).

Carolyn
Old 11-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
You'll be fine, sometimes this site get's a lil'' overboared on caution!!!
With all due respect, we say these things because some of us have been there, done that and already paid the price for not doing it right.
Quote:
Just test the water after a week and see where it is!!!
A week is more than enough time for ammonia to kill a fish.
Quote:
cycled my 125gal. with 15 damels only lost 2 so
A cruel practice IMO and It looks like you have been lucky to this point. I hope that luck hold out for you.

Quote:
You have to add fish one day or you will only have a water tank
Yes, and fish that are alive and healthy are much more enjoyable.

Tags
first fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com