Adding first fish tomorrow, what to do if...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a qt tank cycled and awaiting its first fish which I'm getting tomorrow. I've heard that adding a fish can cause a mini-cycle. What do I do if my tank starts a mini cycle? Do I water change until my readings for Ammonia and Nitrite are zero? Do nothing unless fish looks distressed?

I'm hoping I don't have a mini-cycle but I do want to be prepared if I do.

Carolyn

How'd you cycle your QT tank? Over what period of time? Trying to figure out how much nitrifying bacteria might have been created and its ability to prevent ammonia spikes from new fish. Not that I can do the figuring, but others at this site would be able to.

One fish tomorrow. What will it be, by the way?. And better yet, have you given good thought to what you ultimately want to be stocked with? Don't start with the yellow tang :roll: What size is your main where the fish might be going?

I started with 3 blue/green chromis hoping they'd be tame enough for the big tank and do some schooling.

With first fish, watch your testing levels often and be prepared for water changes. Got a place for pre-mixed water to age with a small heater and circulation pump? I keep a 32g trash can w/about 15g made up - when I'm being good.

If you properly cycled the Qtank, then adding a few fish should not cause a cycle...that's the whole purpose of pre-cycling a tank with shrimp/ammonia - to avoid any spikes when live fish are added. If you can answer a few of austinsdad's questions, that'll tell us how well the tank was cycled.

Tank was cycled with liverock for about a month. It's only a 2.5 gallon (all I had for a tank when I realized I needed to cycle a QT tank - will upgrade to a 10 soon.)

Anyhow Ammonia and Nitrites are zero. Nitrates -5ppm. I'm going to buy some Catalina water at Petco today because I used all my premixed water yesterday trying to stabilize my main nano tank parameters (that's a whole other story). I'll get that aerating as soon as possible.

Fish will be a okinawae goby - a small one at that (less than 1"). It's coming in on a group buy today. There are lots of pods in the tank, should I just let the goby eat them until they have depleted in quantity or should I feed him too? I don't want to have food spoiling which would kill the water parameters.

Carolyn

Just from my own experiences and from what I have seen on the site it is common to get an ammonia spike in a qt. It depends on the tank size and the fish size. Like was mentioned keep change water available and if it does spike, do daily water changes.
IMO do not rely on the cycle to carry you through the qt period, especially if the need arised to treat with any kind of meds. Water changes are you best weapon.
Be sure to test daily, especially in the first week of qt and be ready to act.
Also syphon up any uneaten foods and I would suggest a small (10-15%) change every few days even if it doesn't spike.

QT should be bare bottom, I would get the rock out of there (if it already isn't) and use a sponge filter instead.
Also a 2.5 may be hard to manage as a qt tank. If possible, you may want to get that 10 gallon.

I'm betting you will indeed see a spike with a tank that tiny. I had a mini-cycle when I added two ocellaris to a cycled 20 gallon tank. It took water changes every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks before the tank stabilized. (It was a very small cycle--ammonia never went above .25.) I'd have a nice big bucket of aged SW ready and test every day until you've have nitrites at 0 for a week or so.

IMO i would put the fish in there and let it ride, it wont spike enough to kill anything!!! Just test the water after a week and see where it is!!! You'll be fine, sometimes this site get's a lil'' overboared on caution!!! One lil'' fish wont hurt nothing!!!I cycled my 125gal. with 15 damels only lost 2 so......You have to add fish one day or you will only have a water tank :lol:

Respectfully Kmeyers18, that may have worked fine for you, but did you notice we're only talking about a 2.5g tank here?

I think we're all suggesting to err on the side of caution, not go overboard with it. Also, a lot of us are into saving fish. Glad yours worked for you with 15 damsels in a 125g to cyle. Adding fish one day is what we all do. Just trying to suggest a more responsible way of picking the right day and the right # of fish. :wink:

quarryshark said:
QT should be bare bottom, I would get the rock out of there (if it already isn't) and use a sponge filter instead.
Also a 2.5 may be hard to manage as a qt tank. If possible, you may want to get that 10 gallon.

I agree. A QT shouldn't have any live rock or sand in it. QT is used too monitor and treatment of sick fish. Once you add medication to the QT you will kill the life on the rock and the sand. And you will not be able to use that same rock again in the main/dispaly tank because medicine is absorbed by the rock and can leach back out causing a tank crash.

Well i agree on saving fish, but in all reality if your that concerned about saving fish than leave them in the ocean! We do this hobby for our enjoyment not the fishes enjoyment! How would you like to be stuck in a tank? That cant be that enjoyable! Now i agree with the caution to some degree. But no point in stressing someone out making them think there tank is going to spike like crazy! When you add fish your parameters will jump to some degree but then the bio. filteration will increase to take up for that! No need to do water changes,especially when adding a fish that hardy!!! We need to give advice not stress :wink: :wink:

Sorry for the agressive post Austinsdad! This site just kills me sometimes with the overboardness (if thats a word) :lol: People on here act so consurned about the fish and reefs! It just makes you wonder why they have them in there house! Just contributing to the decline of reefs and fish! Me, i use caution to keep my money in my wallet! I care about the fish because i dont want to have to buy another one!! :wink:

Update on first fish...

I got the little goby home last night, acclimatized him and went to bed. Crossed my fingers that all would be OK this morning, and it is. I haven't tested the water yet but goby looks happy. I think I saw him biting at the pods, which is a good sign. I also got a couple of hermits to clean up.

I'll leave them alone for a while, and then test water parameters and hope they haven't gone through the roof.

Carolyn

IMO do not rely on the cycle to carry you through the qt period, especially if the need arised to treat with any kind of meds. Water changes are you best weapon.

IME this will be the case. You act like you know what your talking about Qshark....hmm..... :wink:

Just keep some water ready, you WILL need to do a water change in your qt, especially a 2.5g.

You will need to loose the substrate and rock if you need to treat the goby. The whole idea of a qt is to watch the fish and see if it has any health problems. If it does, you will need to treat, and you cant do that with substrate.

Congrats on your new little buddy! :D

PICS?????

No substrate and just a tiny piece of rock (less than a lb). I do have macro (caulpera) to help with nitrates, which also brought with it the pods. I'll try to get a pic of this guy. I bought a camera last week just to take pictures of the tanks (another $150.00 on this hobby!).

Carolyn

You'll be fine, sometimes this site get's a lil'' overboared on caution!!!
With all due respect, we say these things because some of us have been there, done that and already paid the price for not doing it right.
Just test the water after a week and see where it is!!!
A week is more than enough time for ammonia to kill a fish.
cycled my 125gal. with 15 damels only lost 2 so

A cruel practice IMO and It looks like you have been lucky to this point. I hope that luck hold out for you. :wink:

You have to add fish one day or you will only have a water tank

Yes, and fish that are alive and healthy are much more enjoyable. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom