Algae anorexic tang. HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceandelight

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought the Atlantic blue tang he is very healthy looking and really small so it will be fun to watch him grow up. I have had him for 3 days in QT now and have offered him algae every day on a clip and so far I haven’t seen him eat any of it. I have also have fed him live brine, frozen mysis, and frozen bloodworms and he eats like a horse. He doesn’t seem to be stressed. He is very friendly and goes nuts when I put in the meaty food but yet won’t touch the algae. What is the deal? What kind of tang doesn’t eat algae? I have seaweed selects green, red and brown algae and have offered him a different color for the last 3 days. Today I also soaked it in garlic, zoe and zoe con and it still seems like he doesn’t want anything to do with it. We happen to have fresh calurpa growing and I was thinking about trying some of that too. Any one have any other advice? In the past the tangs that I had were nuts for any algae. I put it in the tank now and this guy just looks at it and swims around it happy and healthy.

Feed him the calerrpa. Thats what I feed mine. every day. But some tangs wont eat it or it will take some time for them to get accustomed to it. As long as he is eating something you are good to go.

Does he eat something like formula 2? Its a good blend of algae and protein in frozen cubes. Might help make a transition to clip algae.

so i tried the formula 2 and fresh calurpa yesterday and he didn't seem to thrilled but i did see him take a few bites of the calurpa and when i came back in the afternoon the cube of formula 2 and all the calurpa was gone so i would assume he ate it. i put some more green in today and i think he might of actually taken a few bites so things seem to be looking up. i still think he is a strange one since he go crazy over anything meaty but seems to think the algae the the clip is going to get him or something. i dunno i will update if anything new happens if anyone else has any other idea's let me know i am up for anything and i need to go to the LFS tomorrow.

Sounds like your on your way. At least he`s starting to eat. I only feed my tank every other day but I leave Calerpa in the tank all the time for my tangs to graze

Back
Top Bottom