Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

All fish dead -whitespot

so after not being to informed we tried to catch our powder blue-he git stressed and we got white spot. ..we have lost our powder blue 2x clarkies 2x nemos mandarin a sifter goby all in a matter of 2weeks..still gave 2 chromis left they are still fine . How long should we wait till we add fish again.oh and also still have a lawnmower blenny

Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If I were you I'd setup a quarantine and move the blenny to that. Then leave the display without fish for at least 2 months. Just wondering but why were you trying to catch the powder blue?

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

we bought a copperband for the aiptasia and I was advisrd to trt remove the powder blue as he was aggressive. we removed copperband and then tried to catch the powder blue..
Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How large is this tank? What are your parameters?

I agree with leaving the tank empty of fish while caring for the fish that survived. Otherwise you won't be able to get rid of ich. Fish in a healthy environment should never die from ich. There's a big problem if they do.

take a look at this link:
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

180L and below are the parameters

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140108_202203.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	215744
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140108_202144.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	215743  
Old 01-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

180 liters? I would say tank size is a big factor in this.

Both the copper band and the powder blue need a tank closer to 500 liters. 180 is nowhere near enough for them. Not to mention there i a lot of fish crammed into a small tank. Both of those are a recipe for disaster when ich is involved.

I would follow one of the treatments outlined in the link along with the fallow period. After that you can concentrate on stocking the tank with appropriate fish again.

Lastly, there are a number of ways to take care of aiptasia. Aiptasia x, lemon juice, Joe's juice, kalk paste. Adding a fish to take care of it is not a good way to deal with most infestations in an aquarium.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
180 liters? I would say tank size is a big factor in this.

Both the copper band and the powder blue need a tank closer to 500 liters. 180 is nowhere near enough for them. Not to mention there i a lot of fish crammed into a small tank. Both of those are a recipe for disaster when ich is involved.

I would follow one of the treatments outlined in the link along with the fallow period. After that you can concentrate on stocking the tank with appropriate fish again.

Lastly, there are a number of ways to take care of aiptasia. Aiptasia x, lemon juice, Joe's juice, kalk paste. Adding a fish to take care of it is not a good way to deal with most infestations in an aquarium.
I agree. Both those fish are notoriously difficult to keep with the powder blues being ich magnets. In that small of a tank they will stress easily this leading to the ich outbreak. Get that blenny into quarantine and then leave the tank empty for at least 2 months to kill off any remaining parasites.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

the powder blue was florishing for monyhs doing really well. I got him to get rid of the hair algae problem and he was very happy.thr aiptasia has been coming on gor a very long time been through bottles and bottles of red sea aiptasia x, then I thought wow joeys juice has cleared it until they again spread even more.not fresh or bottles of lemon juicr helped.i dont know about kalk powder though.our skimmer burnt out not to long ago and loss a few fish and most of our corals and started so to say fresh.bleached all the live rock to get rid of the aiptasia. byt the liverock that the pet shop kept for us that haf the corals on still had aiptasia and they were not even able to yet rid of them-swear we have a farm of them can start selling them lol. so copperband was out of desperation. both the clarkies and nemos and both chromis made it through the whole burnt skimmer episode now we left with only the chromis...I think its a 180L if I am not mistaken. 1.2m tank
Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the libk.started reading but will read it ib the morning. to much for my brain at this hour (10pm in SA)
Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

A fish living for months isn't flourishing. Also, never buy a fish to solve a problem that can be fixed with your own hands. You could of tried peppermint shrimp to rid the aiptasia over a butterfly. I'm sorry if I come off as harsh but these fish deserve a proper home where they can thrive for their lifespans. They're not sold to cleanup problems.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com