All fish Died overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieReef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got home this morning to find all of my fish dead in the tank, I had a small pair of Clown fish a humu humu trigger a hawkeye and a fox face rabbitfish. I found the clownfish on the bottom together the hawk eye in his cave and the trigger floating.

I found the fox face in the filter somehow still trying to work that one out but anyway can anyone tell me if the fox face can poison the water to kill them all as I have done tests on the water and they are all fine.

Please help me work this out thanks

How large is the tank? How old is it? You're not providing enough information. What were the water parameters (taken by liquid test kit, in ppm) before and immediately after the deaths?

Most like twhat happened was the fish had died and been sucked up by the intake.

My small setup is a aqua world tank capacity of 40L the ph is sitting on 8.2,nitrites are zero, ammonia zero and nitrates are on 5ppm yesterday afternoon.
I placed a anemone in the tank yesterday morning that I got from my local shop

The readings for the tank 5minutes ago was the same but the nitrates were at 40ppm I dare say as I left the all the fish in there until I got up out of bed.

As for the fish in the filter my tank is setup with a grated filter and he could not have been sucked up I honestly am baffled how it got there

I have read that the rabbitfish may have poisoned the water if so why is the anemone still alive.

I have had no problems at all with the setup fish were happy and healthy

No it is fully enclosed that's why I think it has something to do with the foxface

You had all those fish in a 10 gallon tank!?! I think this is what killed your fish. The two small clown fish alone would have put you pretty much at max capacity. The trigger and the fox face need a minimum 70 gallon tank.

kms907 said:
You had all those fish in a 10 gallon tank!?! I think this is what killed your fish. The two small clown fish alone would have put you pretty much at max capacity. The trigger and the fox face need a minimum 70 gallon tank.

I missed the part about the ten gallon. Yeah, that was completely overstocked.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

kms907 said:

They have all been fine in there and doing well in there and all levels been great

AussieReef said:
They have all been fine in there and doing well in there and all levels been great

It doesn't matter. With stunting, fish can seem fine one minute and be belly up the next.

carey said:
I'm hesitant to put a pair of clowns in a 14g bio cube.

Well this mystery is solved.

It's not solved as mentioned they have been fine until this morning they have been in there together for months

Bettababe1011 said:
It doesn't matter. With stunting, fish can seem fine one minute and be belly up the next.

I repeat. Stunting may not kill a fish until months or years after the fish is put in. This is most likely what killed your fish.

Sometimes things may "seem fine", but then water parameters will swing literally overnight. This seems to be common with overstocked tanks because it is near impossible to keep them stable.

Back
Top Bottom