Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for your reply's. I must say that I should have known better putting that many at one time. My first reef I had I waited 4 months before I put anything in. This time I wait only 4 weeks. I'm not very happy with myself at all. And I never thought that my Pink Tips would release toxic's. I just took them out tonight, I wanted to make sure there were indeed dead.

I don't know why everybody seems to think my Salinity is low, this is the readings I’m getting, 1.0275
I did not check for copper, but that kit is on the way.
I just purchased quite a few LaMotte’s & Salifert's kits for a more accurate readings

The Alkalinity is off the charts but right now all I can get is 400+ ppm. I will have to wait till my good kits come in which should be tomorrow or Wed. Right now I'm dosing with C-Balance Part A only from Two Little Fishies. That will at least save my rock. O BTW all I did have in the tank was a Cleaner Shrimp. No corals except that were on the rock when I got it. That too does not look good either but the coralline algae is still very strong and looking good. On the PC lighting, for what I want to keep would be fine, including the pink tips.

Forgot to add that my Ammonia was 0

I'll just keep on getting the tank back in balance and try and find out which did kill my friends.

johngebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't think anyone was implying your salinity was low. At 1.0275 you are a little high. It should read 1.025 as general rule of thumb at the top end and 1.021 at the bottom. I think getting the better kits was a wise move on your part and you'll get a much clearer idea of the condition of your params. As a general rule, good params to shoot for would be something like:

salinity 1.025 SG

Alk 8 - 12 dkh (nsw is ~8 dkh, however most reef keepers keep it elevated. Mine for example runs about 11 dkh and the corals completely dig it!)

PH 8.2

mg 1350ppm (Should be 3 x your ca, however, nsw is about 1350)

ca 400 - 500ppm (most including myself shoot for 450ppm. This is important to corals and inverts who rely on ca for making shells..)

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0 - ? FOWLR, prolly can range on up to 30+ ppm, but through good filtration and water changes, you can keep them much lower. And should ; )

Temp 78 - 82 (Tops!) Anything above 82 starts to make sweaty fish!

There are many other params (Copper is always a no no for inverts!, borate, strontium, etc) but in a FOWLR tank you can start with getting these in line. Once thats the case, you should be ready to add something to cycle with. Again, I *highly* recommend BioSpira. Not just because you can cycle a tank in 24 48 hours, but it doesn't kill fishies. (Or buy a fish you may only wish you had not) If you decide to cycle with something live, then of course you need to wait for ammonia, nitrite to be 0 and nitrates to be 0 or darn close.

Best of Luck!

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #13
Thanks for the info PC. You know with my old system, I always had a problem with Nitrates. What's the best practace to use to keep them at 0?

Old 06-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #14
I think your right PC, It ws the Purple Tips that killed the rest. I'll never do that again. But everything seems to be coming back to norman now.

Salinity = 1.025
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
PH = 8.3
Temp = 78.1
Alk = High - 15.1
Phosphate = 0
calicum = 250 Was 130

I started dosing with ESV Calcium Hydroxide at 2 gallons a day. Then I started to dose with Seachem's Reef complete. Tank is looking better everyday. Still have those cyanobacteria but that will go in time by itself.

die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com